1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New symptoms: anyone have this

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by riverrat, Aug 17, 2016.

1. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

Hi everyone,
    So my main pain complaint for the last couple years was pelvic pain/ low back pain. Since stopping all physical interventions, focusing on tms and writing, I am getting better. Ups and downs but better which is giving me the confirmation the pelvic pain is only tms.

However, as that is improving, I have this strange feeling in the front of my neck on the left side. Not really the throat but more where I would find my pulse at. It is apparent with a lump feeling when I swallow. And Is only slightly there when I'm not swallowing. It is slightly worse when lying down. I dont physically feel any lump. It doesn't hurt to press on it really. If I press on it and swallow, it actually hurts less. I am trying to convince myself it is muscular only and a tms symptom imperative. I of course googled it, and of course cancer comes up as possibility. I had tons of bloodwork done back in May that was all good.

I may have had some slight sensation of this a few months back, but it must have went away as I had severe pelvic pain I focused on. Otherwise i don't have a history of neck pain.
    This is concerning and I can't help to realize it's increasing attempt to get attention since I've been living life more, doing more in the last couple weeks since the pelvic pain has improved and I'm focusing less on pelvic pain. Now this is here. It sure would be easier to believe this is nothing serous if I knew someone had this strange symptom. I really don't want to go to a doctor for it. Anyone have this???

2. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

Strangely my pelvic and back pain was always left sided too. Hmm?

brendan537 likes this.
  3. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy New Member

I think you're like me and have a tendency to worry about every little ache and pain. Just remember, the experts say TMS can move around. Also, from what you wrote, you are thinking of the pain in a physical way, instead of thinking of your new neck pain as emotional. If you don't feel a lump, don't you think it's just more TMS? Hope that helps.

riverrat likes this.
  4. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Stop Googling Riverrat........all you will find is additional reasons to worry. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

5. gitch

gitch Peer Supporter

You raise an interesting point with this post, as do others who post questions along the lines of "is my xyz pain caused by TMS?"

TMS pain moves around, apparently this is very common once it has been 'found out'. Mine did, and move to my foot briefly, and my right jaw of all places. I briefly mistook some of it for 'real' pain, but of course, it turned out to be TMS.

But what if it hadn't been? What if the jaw pain turned out to be something that actually was dangerous if left untreated? There must be a line between paranoia and overly blase somewhere that we should all try to follow.

Personally, I would say to treat the new pain the same way as you treated your original pain, and give it a few weeks. If it's still not resolved, then maybe re-assess and see if you think it's worth investigating further. But not before then.

riverrat likes this.
  6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

After a while, once you truly understand what tms is and you have created a healthy relationship with your body (ie. Not fear-based), you begin to see all manner of aches, pains, tingling, light-headedness and such for what they are. And what they are is nothing more than neurochemicals cruising through your nervous system.

The more you fret and freak out about it, the more intense is the sympathetic nervous systems response because as far as it knows there is some kind of threat out there. It doesn't know that this perceived threat is all in your mind and brain.

The whole point of tms healing is to overcome these mind-games by learning not to react in ways that trigger the fight-flight response. Every time you pay a visit to Dr. Google you scare the bejezzus out of yourself, you tell your body there is something to fear, you focus on this, the fear ramps and your nervous system goes out to lunch taking all good sense and reason with it.

The way to heal tms is:

1. Calm your sympathetic nervous system. Take your foot off the accelerator. Stop looking for trouble. Rest. Sleep. Eat nourishing foods. Exercise.

2. Take a gentle jolly through your past to clarify how and why you tend to live-on-your-nerves, get anxious (aka people-please), lose your rag so easily... Then you notice how this emotional reaction has a physiological correlate (eg. Heart racing, clenched fists), and then you observe how you respond to the situation that prompted this. Over time you'll begin to notice bad emotional habits. Kick these into the dust. Replace with peaceful, loving responses.

Some basic pointers:

*You don't need to dig endlessly through your past for "the big cause". Most likely there isn't one but rather lots of small things with the odd bloom of major stress.

*You don't need to shun all kinds of medical or alternative help. Most people here who have healed/are healing are pragmatic enough to take help when needed, decline when it is not. TMS'ers often need to learn personal responsibility especially for their bodies.

*Pain is created by the brain. This is why Sarno suggested not using physical treatments. Why treat the leg for pain when the pain is in the brain? Heal your brain. Become emotionally intelligent.

*and to pony up on the back of the above, nothing in tms writings tells you to treat your body like shit. There is no need to push, bully, abuse yourself. That is stupid. It is not healing. Care for your body. It is a sacred garment. Feed it well. Let it play outside. Give it lashings of pleasure. Soothe it when it is stressed. Let it sleep long and deeply.

*Give your mind hell. Google your shitty emotional states and learn to be a better person. Overcome self-pity, entitlement, arrogance, apathy, jadedness, aloofness, coldness etc.

*If you are genuinely concerned about a symptom, see your doctor. Let them give you their opinion. The vast majority of the time it will be stress-induced. You don't have to take the meds they prescribe. You have a choice based in part on what they tell you. A huge part of tms is getting in a lather over what-might-be-wrong. TMS'ers are feckin' masters of catastrophic thinking. Give it up. Embrace actuality. Save your imaginative gift for creating something beautiful.

As always, take what you want and leave the rest but as someone who has truly earned their tms spurs I can tell you that this post could save all newbies a lot of time and grief. Arguing over what is and what isn't tms is weirdly just another form of tms-ing. Clarity is exquisite and it is patiently waiting for you to stop arsing around and instead live your life.

Plum x

hoolie, MWsunin12, Lily Rose and 7 others like this.
  7. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Plum:

Some excellent points - and very well spoken - but one major problem I and many others are having is that we cannot sleep well. Being that good sleep is needed for regeneration that leaves a bit of a conundrum.

8. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

What needs regenerated?

9. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

our bodies.........I guess recharging is a better term.

Lizzy likes this.
  10. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Having endured weary battles with insomnia in the past I completely understand this. In many ways poor sleep equates with having a jacked nervous system and a mind in turmoil. Resolving these things helps (I do know how potentially annoying such a simple statement can be).

For my part I have found it helps to be a bit dog-like (and I don't mean playing the pet girl), but rather to embrace a Cesar Millan (the dog whisperer) approach.

I need to be exercised else I start going stir-crazy and furniture chewing mad. If I don't regularly walk or swim I am restless physically, mentally and emotionally. My body needs it. I used to watch Cesar Millan and noticed how every single time he made sure the dogs were thoroughly and properly exercised AND that they were engaged in tasks and play that suited their breed. It's a simple philosophy and one that extrapolates well.

Are you moving your body enough?
    Are you being true to yourself?

Physical tension + inner conflict = stress and tms.

Movement + peace of mind = serenity and happiness.

Of course each person must play with equation to make it right for them.

It does help to learn relaxation techniques and if you can spend 20 minutes twice a day deeply relaxing you will begin to bring the parasympathetic nervous system back online. That in itself is a key baseline measure of health.

As for regeneration, you are on the mark. Exercise increases BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor) a kind of miracle grow for neurones, which leads to neurogenesis (growing new brain neurons) and sleep allows the glia to cleanse the brain and make it shiny and new. These are excellent and essential day-to-day ways of changing your pain circuits to peaceful ones.

As I say, you will need to tinker with elements to determine what your body and mind enjoy and need but once you find it, embrace it passionately and faithfully and you will sleep like a babe.

Lily Rose and Lizzy like this.
  11. kld03c

kld03c Peer Supporter

Excellent points. One of the TMS focused books that I found to be helpful is called Back in Control by Dr. David Hanscome. He's a spine surgeon in Seattle. He has an entire structured program and very blatantly says that chronic pain can't be healed without getting the proper amount of rest. He offers some suggestions and says not to be afraid to work with your primary care physician. I take Benedryl to help me sleep and it makes all the difference in the world.

plum likes this.
  12. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

David Hanscom is my saviour. It is thanks to him that I am healing. I've had chronic pain for over a decade and it was only when I found David's writings that I began to turn things around. His insistence on sleeping well tallied with my own experience and proved to be the golden key to my healing. I spent many years needlessly suffering and indeed worsening before this and for a while I was unsure and afraid to trust my own instincts and experience because certain TMS authors dismissed the role of sleep and rest. Neuroscience teaches us that sleep and rest are vital to recovering from chronic pain. As I stated so clearly above, it is essential to soothe the nervous system.

Serendipitously Dr. Hanscom posted a piece on the forum last night regarding sleep:

Here is the link:

Sleep and My Ambien Adventure

And here is a thread discussing his work in relation to Sarno:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/david-hanscom-md.12178/ (David Hanscom MD)

I'm not suggested people rush out to buy yet another healing book, it really is enough to know that in the first instance it will benefit you greatly to learn to relax, to calm your agitated nervous system, and to sleep well. I haven't followed Hanscom's protocol to the letter but rather have embraced the elements that work for me and that blossom into miracle fruit. Thinking you must adhere to any advice rigidly is simply a manifestation of the perfectionistic trait than Sarno observed repeatedly in his patients. That inflexibility of thinking correlates with tension and pain. Loosen up, lighten up, quit being so uptight. Healing is fun, healing is playful, healing is rediscovering how wonderful it is to be alive for all the rough and tumble.

Plum x

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Lizzy and kld03c like this.
  13. kld03c

kld03c Peer Supporter

Plum, I've read a few of your posts and enjoy your perspective on many topics. Can you expand on the playfulness and fun of healing? What specifically do you do to embrace that in your TMS healing?

I also agree with you about Dr. H. At first I was excited about such a structured program and then I started getting tense if I didn't journal or read all of the recommended books, lol. I took a few tidbits of knowledge but at the end of the day it's about confidence for me both in the diagnosis and my ability to do many things in my life.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    plum likes this.
  14. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Mostly I suggest indulging in things that have always brought fun and pleasure into your life. Music is the simplest and most immediate of these. There are few things that a decent pair of headphones and an hour lying down listening to music don't help put right. Dancing is good, simply forgo the lying down for bobbing around the room. Reading novels is an excellent way of slowing down and vicariously enjoying trials and tribulations of others. It gives perspective and takes us out of ourselves. Watch movies (there is a thread on the forum somewhere about this). In fact art and creativity in general are superb healers. I heartily recommend anything messy like clay or paint or charcoal. Getting our hands literally dirty is grounding and connects us with the Earth so gardening and rolling down hills like you did as a kid go far. Make love, or self-pleasure. I do all these things. I also swim and spend stupid amounts of time in the jacuzzi. Sometimes I swim a mile, sometimes I enjoy chatting with folk in the spa pool. I love yin yoga and favour a teacher called Kassandra who has a YouTube channel and a cat named Cleo. Play with animals, especially puppies. Coo over babies. Spend an afternoon in a cafe and people-watch.

Basically weave the kind of things you would do on holiday into your day-to-day life. A big part of the average tms'ers problem is that they take life too seriously. Pain does that to you. It can make us peevish and self-referential so it does well to shake that down a lot. Laughter is the key here. Watch your favourite comedians on YouTube. I love Bill Hicks the most, and then maybe George Carlin. I unashamedly possess a very dry humour and appreciate the darkly political sway of the aforementioned.

Healing is creative. It is not one-size-fits-all and I think most of us go through the phase you describe of trying to do it the 'right way'. F*** that for a game of soldiers. Make it your own. Try stuff out. Don't fret too much if it doesn't work or things go tits up. It's ok. Tomorrow is another day. At some point you reach this place of acceptance (Claire Weekes Utter, utter acceptance) where you love yourself and your life for the shambolic beauty it is.

Here is one of my go-to meditations for days when I am tempted to jump off the balcony. Fair warning, there is very bad language so do not watch it if that kinda stuff bothers you.

Abbo, Brant, Lily Rose and 3 others like this.
  15. kld03c

kld03c Peer Supporter

Omg, this cracks me up! Someone at work sent me this a few months ago. It's a regular go to!

plum likes this.
  16. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

It's genius. And actually quite a good preamble to *real* meditation ;)

kld03c likes this.
  17. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

:D:D:D

18. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

While Benadryl offers an immediate result, the long term effects are quite daunting. The link between all anti-histamines and dementia are becoming more prevalent. I have often told my husband that dementia is going to be a very easy transition for me, but it may be the joke is not such a joke after all.

Two years ago, I ventured to this site and immersed myself. I found great hearts and wonderful advice. I was able to cease the nightly White Russian (which was very effective with the prescription pain and sleep meds). And then the prescribed narcotics were eliminated. The remaining Gabapentin (a most remarkable pain and sleep aid) lingered, but I was able to gradually lower the dosage. Originally, my dosage was 2100mg, then by the time I found this site, I was around 1800. Soon 1200, 900. And there I lingered, but finally down to 300. I couldn't let it go.

Until. The oddest and most unexpected solution.
    Catnip. My girlfriend gave me a Catnip plant. It is an anti-anxiety and sedative plant for people and dogs. After a few week of drinking it every night with honey and sea salt added, I lowered to 200mg, then 100mg. It took another few weeks, and then I went fully with the herbal tea. The withdrawals from Gabapentin are extremely unpleasant. It took a few weeks, but it was successful.

In and of itself, it is not a cure-all. It is a vital part, but just as vital is the sleep-ritual, and the visualizations and self-assurances of 'safety' before falling asleep. My nightly ritual begins 90 minutes before I am going to bed. Thirty minutes of coloring in a mandala coloring book, and an hour of pleasure reading. Twenty to thirty minutes (after the 30 minutes of the tea steeping) into the reading time, I drink my tea.

I have been pharma-free for a couple years now, and I could not have reached that state without all that I learned and absorbed from this site. I am not "pain-free", but I manage, and ... most importantly ... I am not afraid of the pain. That may be one of the biggest gifts this place provided for me.

There are many paths to healing. TMS is a large part. For me, it was not the complete picture, but it was significant enough to get me off the meds. And some of the pain is definitely and emphatically emotional pain, and thus TMS. Even the heat-flashes of menopause are from an emotional source (tho in truth, I like my heat flashes since I am almost always cold! ;) ).

Sleep ... sleep is critical. Finding a non-pharma or non-over-the-counter solution is also important. For every manufactured chemical we take ... there are negative consequences, whether immediate or long term.

Plum, in her most beautiful wisdom, says to explore and find simple pleasures. Music, coloring, reading, basking in sunlight or watching sunbeams through tree branches, listening to rivers or the whispered secrets of trees in the wind, laying on the floor with your dog, or snuggling with your cat, or leaning against your horse (I would be so lucky to have that!), or laughing at goats, chickens, sheep .... Just BE with Nature. Breathe it. Touch it. Love it.

Love ... it is really, finally, ultimately, about Love. For yourself, and for all living Beings.

There is a beautiful song by Libby Roderick:
    How could anyone ever tell you
    You were anything less than beautiful?
    How could anyone ever tell you
    You are less than whole?
    How could anyone fail to notice
    That your loving is a miracle ...
    How deeply you're connected to my soul ..

Love .. Compassion .. Kindness.
    To yourself, to each other.
    <3

kld03c, honeybear424, Abbo and 2 others like this.