1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New Neural Pathways (great short video)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by giantsfan, May 3, 2016.

1. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

So Alan Gordon posted this video in an answer he wrote to someone in the 'ask a therapist' forum. I found it to be quite inspiring and just flat out awesome. It truly explains and shows how neural pathways work with a guy who is just trying to ride a reversed steering bicycle. To those who haven't seen it yet, hope you like it, and to those who have, well... watch it again! :)

Daniel

yb44, Simplicity, brendan537 and 4 others like this.
  2. KatieDid123

KatieDid123 Peer Supporter

Whoa! This video is pretty much the coolest thing ever. Such a good demonstration of how our brains need time to learn, understand, and accept new information/ways. I definitely needed this reminder today. Thanks for sharing Daniel!

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    mike2014, giantsfan and brendan537 like this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for posting this Dan the Man. I hadn't seen this before and really appreciate the post. Hopefully it can be housed in the mind-body video library so it receives views and doesn't get buried.

It was interesting to see how much more plastic a child's brain is in comparison to an adults. I've read a child's belief system is also greater than that of of an adult, we tend to get wrapped up in too much analytical thinking, which I believe could hinder healing if one is not mindful in their approach.

A video I'd highly recommend is the girl with half a brain which illustrates how a child reprogrammed her neural network and can function fully with half a brain.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/neuroplasticity-the-girl-with-half-a-brain.11037/ (Neuroplasticity - the girl with half a brain)

I really like the line in the video you posted, knowledge isn't understanding. I guess only when we embrace and believe it, will it become our reality.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    giantsfan likes this.
  4. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

DAN THE MAN this is awesome as Katie said I really needed this today as well.

giantsfan likes this.
  5. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Glad you guys enjoyed it, thanks to Alan Gordon for posting it originally.

Mike that video you posted was absolutely incredible as you said. Very very touching story. By the way Mike, how do we get this video housed in the library, is that something that is only done by admin?

Daniel

mike2014 likes this.
  6. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Thanks for sharing. ^_^

7. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

Very interesting! I plsy several instruments and it also reminds me of that - how my muscles play tunes without me consiously thinking about it. So maybe my next "instrument" to learn is how to be painfree?

8. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lina, I made a post yesterday which relates to dance movement therapy. Which is a way of being in tune with ones emotions and expressing these through movement. It's quite interesting and it seems to be gaining alot of momentum with the medical world.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/dance-movement-therapy.12450/ (Dance Movement Therapy)