1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Here - Seeking Direction

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jane, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Jane

Jane New Member

My question is a very practical one (and has probably been asked here many times, apologies for any redundancy): I recently discovered the concept of TMS and believe that it applies to me, and would like recommendations on what specific actions to take to start overcoming TMS and living pain free.

I am 34 years old and have been suffering with low back pain for over eight years. I have run the gamut of doctors and treatments (chiropractic, physical therapy, cortisone shots, drugs, acupuncture), all to no avail. I have seen several doctors, none of whom found anything particularly wrong with me or gave me a decisive diagnosis. An MRI showed a slight bulging disc, though my doctor informed me that bulging discs rarely cause severe back pain and usually heal on their own.

So, despairing that I had tried everything and would have to spend the rest of my life in chronic pain, I was very excited when I recently learned about Dr. Sarno and TMS. I have so far read two of Sarno's books: "Healing Back Pain" and "The Divided Mind" and would like to try overcoming my chronic pain from the angle of TMS. However, while the books do a great job of describing what TMS is, they do not go into detail about how to overcome TMS. My question to you then is, what resources/methods do you recommend for a neophyte like me? I know that Sarno's talks are available on DVD - has anyone used these; are they helpful? I also know that this Wiki recommends the Structured Educational Program - is this preferable to Sarno's lectures? Is effective for individual study/practice?

I have been in psychotherapy for over seven years and am very happy with my therapist, so I am not looking to work with a TMS therapist right now, nor do I feel the need to see yet another doctor. I would like to know what I can do on my own and how/where to begin. Your advice and guidance is very much appreciated. Thanks!

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jane,

Welcome to the Forum!

I think that following a structured program is a good approach, because it forces you to take it one day at a time while giving you something specific to focus on. The SEP on this wiki is free and is good. I used the one by Dr. Howard Schubiner in his book Unlearn Your Pain, and it helped me a lot. It can be purchased on Amazon.

I don't recommend purchasing Sarno's lectures, as they are expensive and really just cover the same material as his books. I found getting the audio version of Healing Back Pain and listening to it frequently, very helpful, as he reads it and the sound of his voice is soothing. Also, Dr. Schubiner has some videos available for free on his website unlearnyourpain.com that are good.

Whatever you do, I recommend following Sarno's recommendation to only spend less than an hour an day on studying TMS and working on it. But do it daily. Then put it away and live your life, practicing outcome independence as much as possible.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. Ask questions any time. We are all here to support one another.

I wish you well...

IrishSceptic and Anne Walker like this.
  3. Jane

Jane New Member

This is very helpful, thanks so much!

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

All you have to do is change your mind. Keep reading until it clicks.

6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle