1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New here- first post

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jbasscase, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jbasscase

jbasscase New Member

Hello- just wanted to introduce myself. I've just started working on Howard Schubiner's online program in the past few weeks, and he told me about this wiki site- I'm excited to have found this and am hopeful about TMS being my diagnosis.

I have a history of headaches going back about 10 years, they last for months at a time. Along with the headaches, but more so in between bouts of them, I've had all kinds of other pains that just seem to move around. Elbow, neck, shoulders, knee, back, teeth, eye issues. But doctors can't find anything seriously wrong. I started getting more worried than usual in the past year as my hands and wrists were hurting quite a bit- and I'm a professional guitar player, so it started causing even more anxiety about my future. Then this current bout of headaches that I'm in the midst of right now- I'm currently in the seventh week- has brought some new symptoms with it that I'd never experienced at the same time before- mainly dizziness, ear pain/pressure, nausea (no vomiting, though), and some flu-like symptoms. I've spent a ton of money recently seeing a naturopath who is trying to heal my gut, she's got me on a total of 20 supplements right now, although my symptoms have just been all over the place lately and I couldn't tell what was working or not, and if any of the supplements were making things worse- so I've only taken a few of them for the past week. And talk about diets- I've been on so many different "healing" eating plans, which sometimes seem like they help and then other times I just plain can't tell. Throughout all this, I've wondered many times if it's all just in my head. Right now I'm following a version of the paleo diet, but without nuts/seeds and nightshades. Necessary? Not sure about anything anymore.

Speaking of food- I'd been a vegetarian for most of my life age 15-35. A functional medicine doctor I was seeing at age 35 told me I needed to eat meat. I fought with him for a while about it, but then decided to give it a try. I DID feel better when I started eating meat. And that particular doctor told me to go on the paleo diet, so I've been doing mostly variations of that for the past few years. So, my latest thought is that maybe I'm eating too much meat- and maybe by being rigid with my diet (no grains, etc), that I'm somehow psychologically punishing myself and making my symptoms worse? Huh? Also, I'd like to say- if anyone has experiences relating to this that they'd like to share I'd love to hear it- I struggled in my youth and early 20's with eating disorders quite a bit, so food issues are just messy for me in general. And, I feel like it really can be all tied into pain I'm in. I mean- I've spent SO many years of my life berating myself for food and body-related issues, my body can't feel good about that- so it makes sense that I've literally hurt myself.

So there's my introduction, thanks for reading. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts about what I said. I'm looking forward to participating in this forum. Thanks!

Msunn likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, jbasscase. Your posting is very interesting. Since doctors and medicine and diets haven't helped you with your eating "disorders" it appears to me to be TMS. I can't imagine anyone eating better while taking 20 supplements. I always ate what I wanted and always felt good. I did stay away from fast food restaurants but tried some fad diets. I usually lost 5 or 10 pounds but always put them back on.

I believe we eat more than we need to because it relaxes us. Barbra Streisand said she's nervous before performing and
    keeps her limousine stocked like a delicatessen for her to nibble goodies.

In the past two years I've concentrated on almost no meat but substitute chicken, turkey, fish, and eat more fruits and vegetables and less sweets like candy, cookies, cake. But I do eat some sweets like those, in moderation.

I think if we stick to low fat foods and eat more fruits and vegetables, we do our bodies and nervous systems a favor.

If I were you, I'd think TMS. Learn what your repressed emotions are. They're what is causing you to eat more than is good for you.

Think TMS and stop worrying. You're going to be fine, without pills or diets. We at TMSWiki are always here to help you.

You're fortunate in knowing how to play the guitar. I love the instrument, especially classical and Spanish.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I also hope you will look at the post with Dr. Sarno's video from his book The Mindbody Prescription. It will give
    you a wonderful summary of his TMS healing theory. Then read the book and/or Sarno's Healing Back Pain.

Your pain moves around because your unconscious mind wants you to think about your repressed emotions.
    Sarno says they're mostly anger or rage, going back to childhood. When we think about re's, our pain goes away.

Msunn likes this.
  4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Welcome to the TMS wiki!
    I've found that preoccupation with food gets me in trouble. I have a few intolerances that restrict my diet. I also work in a middle school, where snacks and treats are sometimes abundantly present. I've discovered that if I bemoan the fact that I can't have most of what's offered, I start feeling deprived, and that's dangerous territory for me. So I keep a few sensible treats in my drawer, and if I start to get overwhelmed by what I can't have, I just eat one of my goodies. Moderation and gratitude are key for me.
    Blessings on the journey.

Msunn likes this.
  5. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome! So glad you found us, jbasscase. The food topic is one of interest to me as well and I have experimented with different diets…none too strictly though. In my "perfect" world, I locally sourced/organic foods that primarily grain and sugar free. My REAL world though is…a very strained budget right now which means rice is a staple food.

I think Walt was spot on…I would look at any food related things at TMS, especially given your history of eating disorders. TMS likes to target those weak spots first. (In my case, broken vertebrae and herniated discs that happened YEARS ago!)

And about those $upplements. My naturopath put me on a bunch of them too. It was before I learned of TMS and was on my desperate search for pain relief. I had questioned their value at the time but ponied up and paid a small fortune. They sit in my cupboard now, half empty. I think they did SQUAT. I think they *could* have with a placebo effect if I was more of a believer. I just have trouble believing that the magnificent design of our bodies requires $125 worth of supplements every month. Now mind you, I"ll still continue taking my D3, especially during the limited day light hours where I live. I also take a few others…..but I get them from Costco at a fraction of the cost of the naturopaths. And my Pharmacist friend assures me they are quality.

I'm more convinced that the most powerful stuff we put into our bodies isn't a supplement…it's what we feed our minds!

Good luck with your journey!

Msunn and Ellen like this.
  6. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

I just wanted to say welcome jbasscase. I'm also a professional guitarist, so I really identify with the hand problems being career threatening. I think TMS occurs where we are most vulnerable. I've never paid a lot of attention to aches and pains as they happen in various parts of my body, but once it started interfering with my ability to play I took the bait!

It sounds like you have had more issues with diet etc so thats where you are having the most symptoms.

I've gotten a tremendous amount out of the Sarno video that Walt mentioned, so I would also suggest that as something that really describes TMS and all the different symptoms it can cause.
    His description of the solution is so clear that my pain has lessened from just watching that segment and reviewing it.

Please keep posting and let us know how your progress is going

All the best

North Star likes this.
  7. jbasscase

jbasscase New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! Feeling scared and alone about all of this is a huge problem and adds to the anxiety/ruminating, so sharing and getting feedback from you all is so helpful! I'm looking forward to participating in this forum more and getting to know you all.

I started watching the Sarno video last night, will finish it soon. Thanks for the advice! :)

North Star and Msunn like this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Dr. Sarno's video is the next best thing to having a private session with him.
    He is so inspirational and his belief in TMS healing is "catching." It engulfs me.

It's a good idea to watch parts of it every few days. You know you can put it in
    "pause" by clicking the symbol to the far left, and also move the dot back and forth
    to find sections you'd like to go to again. You can also write the time on the video
    where you want to return.

North Star likes this.
  9. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

jabsscase, I can relate to what you said about the supplements. I do take some supplements for specific things, like D3 and calcium for my osteoporosis. However, I think that alternative medicine is mainly just a big racket. Most of the supplement companies are owned by large corporate conglomerates and pharmaceutical companies, so I really don't trust them. Also, who knows what is really in a lot of those supplements. I agree with North Star and Gigi. I get really hung up on food also and it has not done me any good. Almost ALL foods have good and bad points, so I think a well balanced diet is the best way to go and limit the supplements. I have never been able to make any headway with pain by changing my diet or by taking supplements. But I have had success with my TMS work.

Ellen likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Chickenbone. We agree on food. I'm not overweight but believe the best thing is to eat fruits and veggies every day and
    some chicken (baked or boiled) and fish (baked), and recently I've been adding walnuts, pecans, and almonds,
    all unsalted and in the shell. I've found good prices at amazon.com

I still eat some cookies or chocolate, but not much.

Diets are too restrictive and strange.