1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New guy with lots of questions

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by mc1986, Nov 5, 2014.

1. stephb

stephb New Member

Definitely, yes. Biofeedback showed completely relaxed muscles. However, his thighs still hurt to the touch. He was in a downward spiral, asking for a wheelchair, and completely despondent despite the "progress" his physiotherapist was so proud of. He never felt less pain until TMS.

2. mc1986

mc1986 Peer Supporter

I get the wheelchair idea. I have often wondered why they couldn't just paralyze me from the waste down. Like when they give epidurals during labor. Sad. I am looking into some structured programs so I can have more guidance and don't feel like I'm going at it alone. Thanks for your help today.

3. stephb

stephb New Member

Yeah, my son begged for us to either remove his penis, give him a permanent nerve block, or even sever his spinal cord to his lower extremities (he didn't care if he couldn't walk), or kill him. I was trying to find him a doctor who would give him a nerve block without going through our medical system (Canada - ridiculous waiting lists and denial of service), because the children's hospital here would never approve such a thing.

You're not going it alone - just post any time and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Luckily I'm on the computer all day at work so I can reply fairly quickly usually.

I think a structured program is definitely the way to go. I'm hoping to someday watch Dr. Sarno's DVDs, too, because I think they'd be incredibly helpful, but they're expensive. Is there any way you could view those? Maybe someone can send you a link or something?

If I can figure out if there is a way to DM on here, you can DM me as well.

4. stephb

stephb New Member

Hey mc1986, I'm just wondering how you're doing this week?

5. mc1986

mc1986 Peer Supporter

Not so good this week. New symptoms and a bad flare up. I did start a tms program. Dr.schubiners. I am hopeful but distressed about this recent flare up. Seems the more I do to challenge my pain the worse I get. I still have it I. The back of my mind that my nerves need to heal. I'm just not all the way there but i am trying. The stress of money and the possibility of losing my job is hard to force into the background. How is your son?

6. stephb

stephb New Member

Ugh, it's too bad financial issues have to get tangled up in the middle of all of this - there is nothing as stressful! I am so grateful that my son doesn't have to worry about money (although he does, he worries about everything). Going through financial issues now, I know how it's impossible to turn off the worry, it is with you all of the time. It's terrible. Just trying to relax at night and watch the Real Housewives - I miss half the show because my mind won't shut off. I sympathize with you.

New symptoms? do you think your TMS is moving around? Shortly after using Dr. Sarno's techniques on my son in early October, when his pelvic pain first went away, he had a really painful shoulder for a few days. That's totally gone now. Is it something along those lines?

Maybe the flare up is the explosion burst that everyone talks about? Like a toddler throwing a tantrum, and it gets worse before it gets better? That could be it. My son literally felt a bursting like sensation in his urethra a few weeks ago - I told him it was an explosion burst and he never felt it again. It was the strangest thing and such a weird sensation for him. I thought it was pretty remarkable that it literally felt like a burst!!!

My son is doing great. He went to the Mall to buy pants today with his Dad (my husband). My son hates shopping and he hates crowds, but he went and he did great. He felt a bit of pain when he had to try on some pants (of course!), but the pain went away fairly quickly. He was also super hot and flushed, and he equates that with pain as well. But he's been in a great mood lately, he's been more active (going for walks and stuff), and just generally getting back to his old self. He's even texting with one of his friends again, after not being in contact for 4 months.

So, don't give up hope! There are ups and downs for sure, but you're definitely on the right track. Your brain is just really stubborn!!

7. mc1986

mc1986 Peer Supporter

My new symptoms are still related to pelvic pain. I think for me this is going to be a longer process. It's hard right now for me to 100% believe it's tms. Hopefully I'll see progress soon and it will strengthen my belief. I meet with my tms doc Wednesday. We will see what he has to say.

8. stephb

stephb New Member

Well, the new symptoms can still be a version of your brain's temper tantrum. Are any of the symptoms things I talked about that my son experienced? New ideas or worries planted in your head, maybe?

Good luck with your TMS doc on Wednesday. Let us know how it goes if you're up to it.

9. mc1986

mc1986 Peer Supporter

Ya the new symptoms are symptoms your son had. I feel pretty confident now that this started with a physical injury but has morphed into tms. I am finding I have replaced my obsession with finding a "cure" with an obsession with tms and am still not really living. I am still constantly evaluating symptoms. My goal for this week is to start living and finding a way to distract my brain from the pain.

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I had a roommate long ago who thought he knew what was causing my anxiety and inability to sleep.
    Every hour he gave me a new reason. Every day I got more. It drove me to have an anxiety attack.

He shouldn't have played amateur psychiatrist with me. So, StephB, you mean well, but don't load your son
    down with reasons you think he is anxious or in pain. Instead encourage him to read Dr. Sarno's book,
    Healing Back Pain (which covers all kinds of physical and emotional pain, not only back pain.)
    Encourage him to start the Structured Educational Program which is free in one of the subforums here.
    That will lead him to become free of his pain.