1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nerve Pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Harzee, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Harzee

Harzee Peer Supporter

Has anyone experienced nerve like pain from anxiety? Please help.

2. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

Yes I been dealing for awhile pm me if you want

3. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Yes. Do whatever you need to to lower the anxiety. Anxiety can be overcome. Find the path that works for you. (For me, Claire Weekes did wonders.) Try not to be impressed by the pain. As you relax, and as time passes, and as you think about the pain less and less, the pain will diminish.

Gusto likes this.
  4. Harzee

Harzee Peer Supporter

Can you please explain what yours felt like?

5. Free of Fear

it it was never that strong for me, as my main symptoms we're back, leg, and foot pain. It ran down my arms from my shoulders, and then to my hands and fingers. While I was worried about the back pain as maybe being because of some problem, I was never that concerned about the pain in my arms and hands, it felt like tiny tiny tiny fire. I think I was aware it was stress-related.

6. Harzee

Harzee Peer Supporter

Are you better now? What did you do daily to help yourself?

7. Free of Fear

In 6 weeks of doing TMS work, I've found 80% relief from all my previous symptoms.

My advice (assuming you've been cleared of any obvious medical condition by a medical provider):

- Do whatever you have to to convince yourself that your body is healthy, nothing's wrong with it, and that the pain is psychologically driven. If reading works, then read. Try 'The Divided Mind' or Mind-Body Prescription. See if that does it for you. If it doesn't, find the path that really speaks to you, and drill it into your mind until you truly believe the pain is psychologically driven.

- As much as possible, try not to be impressed by the pain. From what you've written, it's clear the pain has captured your attention. Recovery happens when we turn our attention away from pain and back to our lives, both to the things we love and to our minds, emotions, frustrations, etc.

- Think psychological. Address anxiety, stress, frustration, resentment - whatever emotional or psychological factors are driving the pain. If journaling works, then journal. If meditation works, meditate. Check out David Hanscom's program for ideas. The point is, do whatever works for you.

- You're not alone. Read the success stories on this wiki. Here are the ones for neuropathy. People have gone through hell and back, and came back to live a pain-free life. You are no different than these people, and there’s no reason you can’t recover like they did.

8. Harzee

Harzee Peer Supporter

Screenshot_20180608-181601_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2019
  9. Harzee

Harzee Peer Supporter

My burning symptoms started after my anxiety was through the roof...

10. Free of Fear

11. Free of Fear

Exactly. Read that Hanscom article on My Feet on Fire

"I moved to Sun Valley in 1999. It was a difficult time for me personally. The persistent warmth in my feet was aggravating, but still tolerable. One night that abruptly changed. I had experienced a particularly difficult day and became extremely upset. Within 12 hours, the burning dramatically increased to a level where they felt like they were in a toaster oven. It didn’t matter what I did, the pain wouldn’t abate. Seeing patients usually distracted me from the pain. Now, it didn’t help. The only time I didn’t experience the severe pain was during surgery and it persisted for six months.

I knew how angry I was at life. I intellectually knew that my anger was a problem, but I didn’t connect it to the pain, nor could I let it go. Every possible diagnostic was normal."

Anger, anxiety, it all boils down to an agitated nervous system on high-alert scanning for danger = pain and symptoms

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. Harzee

Harzee Peer Supporter

13. Free of Fear

That's fantastic - a green light for doing TMS work 100%.

You ready to start doing the work?

14. Harzee

Harzee Peer Supporter

I am...what did you do to help yourself?

fridaynotes likes this.
  15. Free of Fear

Great. I'm confident that you will see improvement.

For me,
    - Structured Educational Program on this site
    - Journaling 5-10 minutes a day
    - 10 minutes of something meditative
    - Being courageous and doing things that caused pain (not pushing too far)
    - Thinking psychological, not physical
    - Not being too impressed by the pain
    - Visualizing myself doing things comfortably
    - Reading a lot of the posts here, books, watching videos, etc.
    - Feldenkrais lessons
    - Getting out there and living the life I love, doing things I love and give me meaning.

Each of us has to figure out what combo works best for us. Jump in, try some stuff out, see what speaks to you, and stick to it.

Where do you want to start?

16. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

how are you now? what worked?