1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Nerve pain anyone? :( help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by alexandra, Apr 20, 2014.

1. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

I need a ray of hope, I was much better and now a big setback. I have nerve pain in arms, Bach ,hips, and legs. I need to hear from anyone who has recovered from nerve pain all over like I have. I loss so much hope each set back and this one came strong after beginning journaling, and a couple of stressful situations which are still on going in my life. Please tell me has anyone overcome nerve pain, neuropathy type symptoms? thank you!

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Alexandra,
    Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I do not fully understand what the difference is between all the symptoms people here talk about and yours. In essence they are all nerve pains (?)
    Maybe there is logic in the fact that you experience a set back right now. Maybe the mind is trying to protect itself because it senses the "danger" of having to let emotions in your unconscious come to conscious from journaling.... It sees a threat and starts to increase your symptoms to move you away from journaling... I see it as "evidence" that there is a huge psychological factor involved. So don't give up hope, see it as a sign you are on the right track..
    take care and take your time,
    Giga

alexandra and Ellen like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Alexandra, I agree with Gigalos that nerve pain anywhere is really "just" typical TMS pain.
    And that your unconscious mind has increased or spread around the pain because you need to
    discover the repressed emotions that are causing the TMS symptoms.

You may very well have some inner anger that has grown into inner rage about one or more
    repressed emotions. Journaling can be stressful, but very helpful. You may be spending too much time
    journaling and delving into your past, especially your childhood. Dr Sarno suggests no more than
    20 minutes a day on journaling. Then switch to doing things that make you happy the rest of the day.
    And don't journal late at night. Slow your mind down an hour or two before bedtime by meditating,
    deep breathing, watching a funny movie.

Think positive. Don't worry that you won't heal. You are going to, if you believe you will.

We're all here for you.

alexandra likes this.
  4. Kev

Kev New Member

Hi Alexandra.
    I had all of the symptoms you currently have.
    But the doctor put a name to it, fibromyalgia.
    I had it for about 3 years but back then I was unaware of TMS.
    It will go and it will go sooner rather than later if you ignore the pain and believe there is nothing structurally wrong.
    Exercise as much as you can, meditate and don't stop doing things that you enjoy.
    You will DEFINITELY get better.

MWsunin12 and alexandra like this.
  5. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Thank you so much, my mom has fibro but doesn't believe in TMS as much as I try to help and educate her. My nerve test was perfect. The neuro said it could be a virus but i doubt its that! I was sent for more testing which most likely will be perfect as well...And the rheumatologist said she couldn't think of anything being wrong with me. I know it TMS, it's the only diagnosis that makes perfect sense in my situation. thank you so much for your response Kev. I will and have been ignoring the pain and moving on with life as normal as possible, Dr Sarnos methods have already saved my life in many ways. Symptoms flare up after exercise which I'm in love with, exercise that is lol but I will continue to move as long as I'm breathing :) thank you and congratulations on your success I look forward to being where you are right now!

6. AndrewMillerMFT

AndrewMillerMFT Well known member

Hi Alexandra,

I just wanted to add to what others have said already. Whether it's nerve pain, muscle pain, allergies, etc... set-backs are a normal part of the TMS process. Often in doing the work, we can have set-backs and flare-ups of old symptoms or even new symptoms. Many of your peers have taken hope and solace in knowing that the set-backs and flare-ups are indeed a strong sign that the issue at hand IS TMS and not something else.

I encourage you to 1) voice your fear and discouragement as you are now. Own that voice. And then 2) see if there are things in your life that you can do to help ground you as you continue to move through your TMS work (whatever that looks like for you). What do you need to do when the fear that the TMS won't get better shows up? What do you do when the fear that this ISN'T TMS shows up? How do you attend to that fear? How do you ground yourself?

Once you ground yourself, it's much easier to move through the day and IGNORE the symptoms. It's much easier to turn one's ATTENTION to underlying emotional dynamics.

Best of luck,

Andrew Miller, LMFT

alexandra likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Great advice, AndrewMiller. If we feel pain has us by the throat, ignore it and look into our repressed emotions
    or perfectionist or "goodist" personality and also to find ways to be happy.

8. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Thank you again everyone! I have so far taken every single advice I have received on this forum as some are similar and some are different. Different methods work for different people...over all i do notice improvements not only in the symptoms but also in how I view the symptoms, the less you fear the easier it is to ignore and I'm hoping eventually will lose their power and disappear all together. This forum has saved my life, with out it I would be a mess! :)

Leslie735 likes this.
  9. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

I get nerve pain in my arms if I over use them (lifting weights, waxing a car etc.) never really thought it could be TMS related!

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Alexandra. I'm so glad the people posting in the forums are helping you.
    I wish I had learned about TMS years ago. But discovering it through Dr. Sarno's book
    Healing Back Pain not only healed my back pain but started me on a journey of self-discovery
    I never thought I'd take.

Fibro and sciatica are terms so many doctors label back and neck and other pain.
    We who know TMS know their causes and how we can heal ourselves through
    how we accept the symptoms, and without pills or surgery.

Keep up the good work on TMS.