1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Negative thinking - pain remains

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Plz568, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Plz568

Plz568 Peer Supporter

I finished my structured program a couple weeks ago. Everyday I do a little reading or journaling but I still have this burning lingering feeling on my right side. It is like 85% better than it was but if I lay on my right side, I always feel it and cannot stay there for long. I realize I always go to my right side to see if the pain is there - always checking in with it. There have been days after a huge emotional release that it is completely gone and I feel so grateful in those moments. I've have had some really difficult issues at school with my special needs son and I have been very angry about it. Trying to process and let it go. Anyway, has anyone read Eckhart Tolle - A New Earth? This has helped me to remove all the pain. He has a chapter on the pain body. It has helped me so much. He talks about two ducks getting into a fight, which never lasts long. They separate and float off in the opposite direction. Then each duck will flap its wings vigorously a few times, thus releasing surplus energy that built up during the fight. After they flap their wings, they float on peacefully, as if nothing happened. This imagery was so powerful for me. I realized how much of the negative thinking that remains after I am angry or even thinking about my past. I still now think about my past experiences. I realize the cells in my body carry that thinking and create pain. As soon as I read this passage in the book, I realized how important it is to process the emotions (fear, anger, sadness, shame) and literally let it go and shake it off. My pain is gone now. I know this is nothing new to let go of the past but it helped me and I wanted to share. The concept of mindfulness and being present is so important for my healing. It is reprogramming my brain to stop going to to the hurt to protect myself but it is really what is necessary to keep the pain from coming back.

Lunarlass66, Jules, MWsunin12 and 2 others like this.
  2. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

I remember you mentioned your kid in another post. I wondered if he was dealing with autism or a related diagnosis. I am trying to understand if tms and autism are connected.

3. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

The Duck with the Human Mind.

Jules, Plz568, tgirl and 1 other person like this.
  4. Plz568

Plz568 Peer Supporter

Hi, my son has Down syndrome, apraxia
    and severe speech delay. He is 12 and is able to communicate with words not sentences. It can get tiring due to his lack of independence. However, I've begun to look at my son in a different light. He is really the happiest most loving person that I know. He has no judgement about others no matter how he is treated. He is not concerned with looks or image or money or fame. He is 100% present in every moment of the day. And he hugs everyone he encounters. In fact at school he is in time out everyday for hugging other kids. Isn't it ironic that we punish him for loving others. Ah such is life. I get it but it is ironic. I am so blessed to have Evan teach me the way to live. It all makes sense.......we work so hard to push his independence, get him to speak correctly. I feel the pressure no more. Instead I learn and am humbled by his grace..........

tgirl, Ellen and Pia like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Plz. I almost cried reading your post about Ewan. He is an amazing boy, like many other kids with Downs syndrome or other ailments. I do believe that God gives them a beautiful nature so they can teach others to appreciate life. Bless you both.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2017
    Lunarlass66 and Plz568 like this.
  6. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

I know nothing about Down. My understanding is that the brain remains as the brain of a kid because of the shape/size of the cranium. I have a neighbour with Down and I always wave my hand when I see her and she happily answers the same way. She lives with her sister and helps with simple tasks such as watering the plants.

7. Plz568

Plz568 Peer Supporter

Thank you Walt. He is an amazing boy, and I realize the pressure I have put on myself in the past (not now) to stop him from hugging and loving every person he comes into contact with. It is so interesting to observe. Some people embrace him openly and others are uncomfortable - even angry. I no longer respond in any way - appreciation or anger - I just observe the willingness of others to receive his love or not. I don't judge, I just smile and go to where we are going. It has taken me this long to understand it all. And, it probably does not bother him to be put in time out in school - he likes to rest more than the average kid! Thanks!

8. Plz568

Plz568 Peer Supporter

Jaumeb, like any disability, there is a huge spectrum of abilities with these people. Evan understands everything but just cannot communicate so well so people think he doesn't get it. He gets it more than most. He helps me with anything that my other son helps me with. He reads and does math. I am sure he will figure out what he wants to do later in life, he is only 12 so we won't hold our breath. We just love him and appreciate the presence he gives in our lives. It has been a gift for sure. I had to come to it and finally embrace who he is without trying to change him to be like others - he is who he is - just as we all are! Many blessings to you.

jaumeb likes this.
  9. cirrusnarea

cirrusnarea Well known member

I would not recommend Eckhart Tolle as his teachings have their root in New Age movement, which when researched has its roots in the teachings of Satanists Aleister Crowley and Madham Blavatsky.

10. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Cirrus, I read Eckhart Tolle a few months ago and I found his books to be quite informative. There is a certain logic to them and I don't find he contradicts any TMS principles. He talks a lot about the ego.. I guess I never really researched his roots.

11. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Having read Crowley's and Tolle's books I don't see how anybody could say they have a single thing in common. I think you could take any concept, theology or philosophy and trace it back to something contentious or less than savoury....that doesn't mean the final message is somehow invalid.

I don't necessarily think that Tolle brings anything new to the mind-body field but I feel he has a very clear and concise way of presenting what can be quite difficult and complex concepts which makes them enlightening and easy to understand. I think the way he explains upon the concept of the Pain Body in A New Earth is superb and actually a key component in why some of us somatise.

Ellen likes this.