1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Need assurance and support

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by CMA, Apr 30, 2014.

1. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

Hi you all
    Hope you all are doing well. I had a good winter. Spring each yr for the past 3-4 yrs is very difficult for me particularly april and may, making plans for summer (have exteded visits from family who i dont particularly get along with), kids schools winding down meaning many more activities, my daughter has bad pollen allergies and other reasons. So basically past 3-4 yrs I have some illnesses or the other and have atleast a couple of sinus infections, not to mention anxiety attacks the past year
    This again since the past 3 weeks I am super stressed with family visiting for a month. My sinuses are surprisingly ok (I am trying a new coconut oil teeth pulling thing). But I started having tailbone pain three weeks ago, pulled a muscle in my upper back (did nothing just woke up from bed with pain) which was very painful for 5-6 days and now the past 2-3 days my posterior ankle and my shoulder is hurting like crazy, nothing happened.
    Last year I signed up for three walks and fell ill promptly before each one. This sunday I have signed up again for another walk and my ankle is hurting so much. Thoughts?
    If it is indeed TMS as I think it is, any suggestions on what I could to be aware and keep going?
    Thanks so much you all!!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, CMA. I think anyone, even if they got along great with their family, would feel stressed if they
    visited for a month. I always think two days is ideal and three can start to become too much.

Try to find time and a place to be by yourself during the visit. Practice meditation, relaxation,
    deep breathing. Your pain is most likely coming from anticipating the family visit.

I know they say to live in the moment, but in your case I'd suggest living in the moments
    after they leave, when you can get your life back.

North Star likes this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi CMA, it's good to see you. Whenever I see symptoms moving around like that, I think to myself, 'that must be TMS!' (only a doctor can diagnose, of course). You may want to ask yourself why you keep falling ill before the walks. Are there any clues in how you feel when you think about them?

In my experience, it's always a question of taking care of the mind first. Once that is all set, the body usually follows. Perhaps go back to the Claire Weekes tapes or work with a TMS therapist to better understand what is bugging you. Try to spend a couple moments every day thinking about what is wonderful in your life so you brain doesn't only dwell on what scares you.

North Star likes this.
  4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I have some theories about walks that might help you.
    Walking can bring you in a state of comtemplation. All kinds of thoughts and emotions can come up. The mind might have been conditioned therefore that walking should be seen as a threat, repressed emotions might come up. Some people get it when driving the car, the same thing happens in my opinion.
    Another possibility is that the walking is connected to something else, for example: fear of getting symptoms during the walk, fear of the unknown locations or people, a bad experience in the past during a walk, leaving your spouse, etc. etc.

North Star likes this.
  5. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

North Star likes this.
  6. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Good to hear, another battle won... tiphata

North Star likes this.