1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Neck popping is it tms ????

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hawkanoxx, Sep 14, 2019.

1. hawkanoxx

hawkanoxx New Member

Hello I was wondering if tms can cause loud neck crunching on side lateral flexation it all started after soft tissue neck injurie in the gym 3 years ago Trap muscle is also severely thight all the time also had equivalents on and off in the last 10 years .The pain does not bother me so much as the loud neck popping does

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

The Body makes all sorts of noises. Sarno talked about them as being like cracking your knuckles. I used to have a Pop every time I did a sit up. It went away about ten years ago.

I recently started hearing a CrunCh noise in my neck when I look up from reading. I have noticed it ONLY happens when I am annoyed with a CERTAIN someone!

its nothing. Ignore it

3. hawkanoxx

hawkanoxx New Member

Ok thanks for the reassurance i have also notice it’s worse when I’m getting frustrated at work but it’s kinda always there .

Baseball65 likes this.
  4. Sammie

Sammie Peer Supporter

I have constant neck popping, grinding, stiffness, headaches, etc. I saw MBS doctor Howard Schubiner and was diagnosed with MBS! It’s a battle to work through all this emotional and physical pain daily, but the GREAT thing is...it’s MBS! When he diagnosed me was the best thing I ever did! So all these pains, no sleep, etc. I call it “The Crazies “

Hang in there we are all in this together!

5. Jude

Jude Peer Supporter

@Sammie what's MBS?

6. hawkanoxx

hawkanoxx New Member

Thank you that sound just like my symptoms nice to hear I’m not the only one I’m in Canada it’s hard to find a tms doctor up here

7. Sammie

Sammie Peer Supporter

MBS|TMS, same thing.

8. Sammie

Sammie Peer Supporter

Hawkanoxx you can go online and find a TMS doctor and do it that way...maybe? Check it out! It never hurts too try.
    Good luck! It really helps and eases the mind when you hear you don’t have a deadly disease! Trust me!

9. Sweetdaisy

Sweetdaisy Peer Supporter

Hi there! Did those symptoms go away with TMS work?

10. hawkanoxx

hawkanoxx New Member

Yes it’s all gone now for over a year and a half it was all tms causing stiff neck muscle chronically when I stoped fearing it it lost its grasp on me I did some emotional work but fear fuels it the most I believe

JanAtheCPA and Sweetdaisy like this.
  11. Jude

Jude Peer Supporter

Interesting seeing this old thread. I have been 100% symptom free of my neck pain for >1 year now. It did take some time to get there. The detours where physical therapy and somatic therapy, both of which reinforced the belief I had a physical issue (as the X-rays also reinforced). But when I finally used TMS work to identify the emotion I had not wanted to face, bingo, over!!

JanAtheCPA and Sweetdaisy like this.
  12. Sweetdaisy

Thank you for your reply! Is somatic therapy the same as somatic tracking? Glad to hear your better. How long did it last? Do you feel the TMS approach was the most helpful? I can’t help but feel doubts from the cracking and grinding

13. Sweetdaisy

Amazing news! Do you mind sharing how long it lasted and what tools helped you most? The cracking sensations keep me on the fence

14. Jude

Jude Peer Supporter

There is more than one form of somatic therapy, but broadly speaking, it refers to therapy with a mind & body approach. What didn't work for me about the particular somatic therapist is that she assumed I had a physical problem and needed to use my mind to deal with it-- for example, learning techniques with the breath to relax the body and reduce pain. That backfired because I had to buy in that my body was the problem. I literally felt the pain increase when I did her exercises. In my case, I battled with various forms of therapy for 3 years. I knew it wasn't working and I suspected it was TMS, but I kept letting myself get convinced it was physical. The breakthrough was when I finally said to myself, "Enough! It's not physical." I know that is hard to do when it hurts--whether it is crunching or any other symptom. The pain is real. It's just that the cause is not physical. And when I let myself accept that, I was open to also accept the emotional cause, which related to my feeling about a ruptured relationship. So, the 3 years was a long time, but the actual healing was very fast.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  15. Sweetdaisy

I apologize for all the questions. But did it feel like bone grinding or rubbing against other bone or tendons? I get this grind and releases with a big crack. It’s not just a crunchy or popping feeling.

16. Jude

Jude Peer Supporter

Most of my pain would have been characterized as nerve pain, which had sounds at times and not other times.
    The important thing here though is that Sarno said you always first need to rule out a recognizable physical injury. Once you have done that, then you can work with it as TMS.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  17. Sweetdaisy

Yes I told my surgeon, he wasn’t concerned.

Jude likes this.
  18. hawkanoxx

hawkanoxx New Member

I would get both crunchy neck and tendons popping when tilting head to the side every time I made that movement