1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My TMS Story

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by mike2014, Jul 15, 2014.

1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello All,

I jut wanted to summarise my experience with TMS, I originally developed it back in 2007 as a result of some key stressors in my life, I has been placed into a post that I was not qualified to do and felt out of my depths, I am a typical T type personality and like to succeed in everything I do and am a perfectionist, other stressors at the time include splitting with my girlfriend. With no knowledge of TMS at the time, I tried desperately to see the solution, physio, acupuncture, dietary change, stretch therapy. The onslaught of symptoms was overwhelming, RSI, Carpel Tummel, Neck pain, shoulder pain, back pain etc, you name it :(

8 Months later, I was desperately trying to find the solution to the problem and I stumbled across Dr Sarnos book, I read all of the glowing reviews and thought I would give this a go! So desperate, I placed blind faith in the book and so the pain subsided to manageable levels and I was able to regain my life with no issues, but had slight TMS flair ups which I was able to control and handle.

The next 6 years were relatively good, but not perfect - I had the odd TMS symptom plus suffered Chronic Fatigue. In 2010 I was again placed in a highly pressured job and although I was succeeding and doing a very competent job, I placed a lot of pressure on myself to deliver to a very high standard. I As a result I developed swelling of my ankles and upper and lower part of my feet (I am not sure if this is due to oxygen depravation or another MBS syndrome), although I have been told it is a MBS. I also developed a trigger finger, which moved as I gained control, but since fixed itself to one finger. I recognise the foot swelling, as a conditioned response to an accident when I was a child, my ankle was hurt and my foot swelled up I visited the Dr's and had various test carried out, gout, stroke, diabetes etc etc and they found nothing, so I was quite frustrated so decided not to g to a Dr and chasing a false diagnosis.. I decided I would arm myself with a crutch and fight through it and so I did, eventually the swelling in my foot went down and I could wear shoes again. I also, started to develop a trigger finger on my left and could feel it at night, I was refusing to let this happen, so I actually slept on my finger despite the pain and shouted to my mind and I am assuming this must have sent a message to my mind and reversed the symptom. Believe me, it was very painful.

This year, I have had another onset of pain, my foot and knee are swolen and I have been confined to a room for almost 3 weeks, I am desperately trying to read and read all of the past materials and I understand the events/stressors that have led to the pain have been similar at each stage. But I am having a real problem making any progress this time and the swelling/oxygen deprivation areas do not seem to get better as quickly.

Has anyone else experienced foot or knee swelling and may I ask how you overcome it? I know that Dr Sarno mentions it in his book as does Steve O, I guess I just want the confirmation so I can attribute it to TMS/MBS so I can 100% believe in the process and begin my journey to recovery.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

So this last bout has been checked too, correct? If you have had this looked over I can tell you probably what it most likely is. TMS, you see your worried about it, you got your focus and attention on it with laser like focus. Being worried about the symptom and focusing on it is called tmsing and that sounds like the issue. Let me know from here mike2014 and we will go further. Now on the swelling, I have had swelling in my hands, my feet, my lower back. my shoulder etc... You name it. The swelling went when the focus and fear went. It is conditioning and it will take some time to recondition as you already know. Yes, confirmation is good. Tms will try to give you whatever you think is not tms so you are doing the right thing asking about your situation. Hit me back and lets talk some more. Thanks and bless you.

3. mike2014

Thanks Eric for the re-assurance - you are a great individual, It looks like TMS has many guises and its difficult to understand exactly what is and what isn't TMS without discussing it with others. Unfortunately, there isn't a single person who knows everything and I think people are still learning each day.

Both of my onsets of pain have been after a night of sleep with many stressors leading up to the symptoms, I suffer from Chronic Fatigue and find it difficult to unwind and sleep, which I think could worsen my situation.

I have just read SteveO's book and have to say his story bought a tear to my eye, anyone who goes through this journey certainly becomes a wiser, thoughtful and rounder individual. His and may other stores I have read have been inspiring.

I am currently working through Dr Howard Schubiners 28 day program, the book is very clear, concise and explain everything in very simple terms, I have also found him to be very supportive and helpful. What a wonderful individual. Bless you kindly sir if you are reading this.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mike. Yes, Eric is a wonderful guy and generous in helping others with their symptoms.
    Chronic fatigue may not show up in medical exams but could be a vitamin B deficiency.
    Are you taking a supplement with the various vitamin Bs we all need?

Maybe do a google search on vitamin D and chronic fatigue.

5. mike2014

Hi Walt,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, I have asked Dr Schubiner about the issue of Chronic Fatigue and he has said it happens when your conscious mind is resting, but your unconscious mind is still active or wired. He suggested for me to write down any of my stressors within that day, then , write the line “I’ll deal with these tomorrow. I will not worry about them at all tonight while I sleep.” . Then to carry out a meditation and visualisation from his book, but also to assure yourself by means of re-affirmation that you are not going to worry about your problems now and that you will sleep deeply and wake up with no pain. This technique is outlined in more detail within the second edition of his book.

What the good Dr says, seems to make a lot of sense and I am going to practice the technique..

I am so touched with how supportive everyone is on this forum. I appreciate it and value it greatly. The wealth of knowledge is second to none.

6. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Personally, I think this is one of the smartest things you can do. While I've never taken Dr Schubiner's program myself, I have heard great things about him. I think it's really important to have structured program, especially when your struggling. Best of luck to you, Mike!!