1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My meeting with Dr. Schubiner

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by North Star, Jul 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

This is just a really quick note as we need to hit the road. I just got out of my 2.5 hour appointment with Dr. Howard Schubiner. He confirmed, I definitely have TMS.

Was the appointment worth driving 1,800 miles? ABSOLUTELY.

I feel like this was the first step for me in taking back my life.

His kind gentle manner and his expertise make for one wonderful doctor.

I'll tell you more about it later. And if you have any questions, just lemme know. I have a lot to digest in the meanwhile.

One Happy NS

tarala, Carmela, Birdie and 3 others like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

So happy for you, North Star! Looking forward to hearing more about it. I'm a big fan of his books.

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I'd like to hear a more detailed description of your session with Howard too. I've done his Unlearn Your Pain workbook and continue to use his guided meditations. The beginning of my TMS healing occurred while doing one of his ISTDP exercises in UYP. Curious about what a one-on-one session would be like. From watching all his videos, I've come to the conclusion HS really knows his TMS stuff.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

So glad to hear it!

5. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

That's wonderful North Star! I hope you had a tape recorder in your handbag!;)

I wonder does he do Skype sessions. You guys in the States are soo lucky to have all these wonderful TMS physicians!

North Star likes this.
  6. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks North Star.

I am working through the 28 day program and have enrolled on the on line program to have visibility of videos etc.

I think Dr Howard Schubiner certainly is a guru within the field and is very gentle with his approach, which makes for a great Dr.

Agreed Colly, America is a the forefront, but hopefully with the likes of these forums and word of mouth more Drs will see the light.

North Star likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, North Star. That was a long session with Dr. Schubiner, and I too will be eagerly awaiting your
    report on it. Blessings!

North Star likes this.
  8. Mala

Mala Well known member

Pleased it went well. 2.5 hrs is a long time but he needs to be sure before giving his diagnosis I guess. He comes across as a very gentle soul in his videos.

Do tell us more when you have time.

In anticipation,

Mala

9. North Star

Wow. What a trip this has been! We are no in Upper Michigan visiting family and will head back to Montana in a few days. Road time provides time to think and reflect on my visit with Dr. S. So here's a little report on it:

His office is in a hospital complex so it was a bit unnerving navigating through the huge parking lot and into the building. But we found the office and got there plenty early to get a bite to eat in the cafeteria. A few minutes after my scheduled time, he appeared in the lobby to get me.

I had my hubby come back with me initially so he could meet him too. I wasn't sure what would be entailed with the appointment…a complete physical ("Here, don this humiliating gown and I'll be right back" or…. ??? I just didn't know.

Thankfully, there was no gown and it became apparent that most of the appointment was talking in his office. He looked at my laundry list of complaints and focused on the biggies that have bothered me the most. (In my case, leg pain and headaches.)

He jumped right into the ISTDP…"Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy." It went something like this:

I told him about the circumstances surrounding our life when my shoulder and headaches hit new levels of pain. MRI showed mid-moderate herniation of a few cervical discs. "You realize of course, those herniations were probably there before you felt any pain?" he said. What was going on personally was a professional betrayal my husband was going through. We had moved to a new area for a job only to find out the boss was a first class control freak and all around asshole.

It was horrible, horrible, horrible!

Dr. S asked me to recall the anger. Something I had a very hard time tapping into. I'm a nice girl. I don't get mad when people hurt me. I "understand" and excuse them.

So he told me to clench my fists and imagine that this boss was sitting in the chair next to me. "Imagine him sitting right there," he said. "What would you like to do with him?"

It still took me a few minutes but I described to him how I was going to take him by the tie and give him a good shaking. And then upend his desk and throw it out the window.

I can't even BEGIN to tell you how awkward this was. I'm a nice girl, remember. ;)

There were plenty of tears. Again, this was seriously uncomfortable as I detest crying in front of anyone.

He continued to walk me through this process ending with forgiveness. If you've read his book, you're familiar with the approach.

We did this for about 5 major life events. I'd like to write more about this but I am at my sister's and must get my head out of the computer. ;)

So can I just say….to be continued…the brief exam he did afterwards (and no, I didn't have to change, phew!) and I was surprised with his findings….

10. North Star

Okay…have a few more minutes. The most significant thing was the connection with my leg and being bullied when I was young. (Those days were horrible.) There was one occasion that was particularly awful, a bunch of kids had circled around me outside the school and were taunting me horribly and lashing out at me with broom handles. Where the hell were the f'in teachers while this was going on?

He related my leg pain with the anger I felt with myself for not kicking some ass and running. He told me he had seen this connection before. So when I did have a legitimate issue with my leg years later…the pain, which should have resolved in a short time…just persisted. For years. I am nice to a fault.

We dug into some more bleck. Family issues and whatnot.

But to the physical findings. "Let's go next door so I can examine you," he said. He did a quick head to toe, checking reflexes, poke prod…you know the drill. He looked at my massive scar, "Oh yeah, this is totally normal, I've seen plenty of these." The pain it causes however, is a TMS manifestation. "And you definitely have TMS," he said.

Now here's the shocking part. He tested the back of my neck, shoulders and upper back. These are spots that are usually painful to touch. Git-yer-frickin-hands-off-me-painful. When I was tested for fibromyalgia a few years ago, these are the spots they checked and I scored a perfect 100% for trigger points. :eek:

On this day? NOTHING. NO tenderness. NADAdanceadanceadanceaFor the first time in…years? maybe…my muscles felt NORMAL.

I was shocked and told him I didn't have pain. He gave me a gentle smile and said my results were normal after anger's been vented off.

And now…once again, my sister's lovely meal is ready so I gotta fold up again. I'll be back!

mike2014, Ellen, Forest and 1 other person like this.
  11. Carmela

Carmela New Member

YES! Please tell us what happened!

12. Carmela

Carmela New Member

What happened with the headaches?

13. North Star

Carmela, Since I learned about TMS last September, my headaches have declined both in frequency and severity by at least 50%. It continues to improve. This is definitely not a linear path…the last few months, symptoms, including headaches, were stirring up again. My daughter got married and there were other stressors too.

Some days, it feels like a one step forward, two steps back dance.

I am fully expecting that getting an "official" TMS diagnosis is only going to serve me well as I move forward in my healing. The reason for this is two-fold:

First, the white coat authority on TMS has told me that I do indeed have TMS. I think that will help any uncertainty lurking in my sub-conscience.

Second, I feel like I took at step for ME. My last 20-years have been spent raising my kids. My needs have usually come last. (A role I would happily do over again, btw. Though a little family support would have been nice. ;) ) So, I felt like this was a line in the sand, a present to myself, as it were.

This all marks a new season in my life. :)

mike2014, Carmela, tarala and 2 others like this.
  14. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

So pleased for you, North Star. :D

15. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, North Star. Thanks for the great reports on your session with Dr. Schubiner.
    You sure learned a lot and felt the relief of muscle pain after venting your anger.

You did yourself a great favor going to see him, and for sharing the wonderful results.
    You'll remember and rethink the session from now on, learning more every time.

Bless you and have a wonderful day and all the tomorrows.

North Star likes this.
  16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

North Star, another thought on your session with Dr. S.
    You said that he touched your back and neck and where you had always felt pain, there was none.
    By coincidence, last night I watched tv and an episode of Bishop Fulton Sheen's "Life Is Worth Living"
    from his old tv series, and he talked about the importance of touch in healing.
    He mentioned the Biblical story of the woman who said to Jesus that she would be healed by
    just touching the hem of his cloak.

Jesus healed by touching the afflicted. Touch is love.
    I remember the song from the 1970s, "She Touched Me." How that touch sent him love.

Often, to anyone in pain or stress, just touching their hand can touch their heart.
    I see it all the time when I touch my darling dog Annie. She loves being stroked.
    She has even purred like a kitten which I run my hands over her.
    They say the elderly especially need to be touched. It reassures them they are loved,
    and that they are worthy of being loved.

You can see Fulton Sheen's videos free on You Tube.

Thanks again for posting about your meeting with Dr. S.

North Star likes this.
  17. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Very happy for you, North Star! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. You have inspired me to research if there is an ISTDP trained therapist where I live, and in fact there is one. I have been resisting the idea that I must vent/process my anger in order to finally getting rid of all TMS, but it is becoming clear that it is a necessary step for some of us.

Tim Hutton and North Star like this.
  18. Carmela

Carmela New Member

Hi North Star,
    Thanks, for replying to me. How did you get an appointment with Dr. Shubiner? I would like to see him, as well.

I would think having him reinforce your TMS diagnosis would be life changing! I am glad to hear your headaches have declined in frequency. I also know how you feel about raising children and all that entails. I, too would do it all over again and probably mostly the same way.

Having a name for the ailments that I have always felt were psychological rather than physical, is liberating. Having it penetrate into the subconscious is, however, another matter. Do you feel you have gotten to the "heart" of your psychological conditions?

Thanks, again and very best wishes for your total and complete recovery.
    Carmela

North Star likes this.
  19. North Star

Carmela, Dr. S's website is unlearnyourpain.com. You'll find his contact information right there. If you call, he will personally return your call. (How's that for a shocker?) After completing his 28 day program, I felt like knew him already and trusted him. I heartily recommend seeing him if one is so inclined. \

Ellen, I have a trusted Facebook friend who is a psychotherapist out of CO. I asked her if she is trained in ISTDP and while it sounds like she may not be specifically, it is clear she understands mind/body stuff. I will visit with her more though and see if she's a good fit for what I'm needing. She does life coaching also via Skype or Google Chat so…we shall see. Right now, I need to get my butt back home. (We'll be there by the end of the week.)

Walt, as usual, you provide wonderful perspective with your words. And the Bishop Sheen recommendation is great too; I will check him out. Touch is indeed so important.

At the end of my visit, I asked Dr. S if he wouldn't mind a hug and said, "of course not!" So I gave him a big hug before I headed out the door. He told me to keep in touch too and keep him updated on my progress.

Tim Hutton likes this.
  20. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks North Star for taking the time to update us on your visit. It's much appreciated, have a wonderful day and may you continue to see improved health.

North Star likes this.