1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My Favorite Self-Soothing Technique!

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Danielle Szasz LMFT, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Danielle Szasz LMFT

Danielle Szasz LMFT TMS Therapist

I love this technique because it's very simple and you can use it when pain in intense, when you're feeling overwhelmed by emotions, or when you're fear or anxiety are running high. It's a very gentle way of letting your fear brain know that you are safe in this moment. I'd love to hear about your experience if you try this practice:

Sonic and Gigalos like this.
  2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Danielle, Thank you. This is great. Simple to remember.
    I'm not seeing the info-graphic. Is it on a different forum?
    Also, one thing that has helped me, especially at night when my mind can crank up, is to feel my own hand on my skin and just gently move it, like you would on a baby, up and down the arm, across the upper chest, on the stomach, and follow the sensation. So often we only touch our own skin to dry off with a towel, etc, or put on lotion...but you don't really feel it.
    This is a little embarrassing to write. haha. But, it is soothing to me. I guess it's self-parenting, since neither of my parents were warmly affectionate.

3. Danielle Szasz LMFT

Danielle Szasz LMFT TMS Therapist

Here's the infographic I mentioned! I love that you found such an ingenious way to soothe yourself. Did you know that research has shown that our nervous system can't tell the difference between our own comforting touch and someone else's? And when we are touched in a comforting way our brain releases oxytocin, which helps counterbalance stress hormones and makes us feel safe? It is amazing to me that our bodies hold so much wisdom and that you were able to figure that out on your own.

Instagram Grounding Infographic.jpg

Lainey and MWsunin12 like this.
  4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

great stuff, thanks!

Danielle Szasz LMFT likes this.
  5. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

How wonderful. Thanks for sharing. It is something easily practiced. I plan to use it frequently.
    Lainey

Danielle Szasz LMFT likes this.