1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 My Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by baseyg, Oct 5, 2020.

1. baseyg

baseyg Newcomer

Write, Delete. Repeat. I’ve read Dr. Sarno’s books, Mind-Body Prescription and The Divided Mind, at the urging of my husband. My husband had also read one of Dr. Sarno’s books because he was suffering with severe back pain, he said he healed within a week. So naturally I’m thinking great! I’ll read the books and I should start to feel better soon.

Not exactly. Though I’m glad I read the books because I’m convinced the random pains I have been struggling with for the last 7 years is because of TMS. The personalities of the patients that were being described, very well could be me. So now here I am discouraged that I haven’t felt 100% better even tho it has been a month after I read my first book. Granted there are days where I felt a little better. I know I just have to do more work to do in becoming pain free.

I’ve decided to be active despite pain knowing very well that I didn’t injure anything! I want to physically be active again without having to modify everything I do! I want to live my life without limping or having to turn my whole body because my neck hurts. So here’s to the start of my journey of becoming pain free and good luck to everyone embarking on their own journey.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi baseyg,

Welcome to the Forum and the SEP,

I love that you see for you it will be different than it was for your husband. I think each case is different, and it is helpful to know you're doing a very individual, personal journey. You'll probably learn different things than anyone else, because you're you! So, take confidence that the process will support you.

Andy

3. LadyA

LadyA New Member

Hi baseyg,

That's amazing that the book healed your husband's pain in a week! I think the biggest way the books tend to heal people is that it eases the fear around pain, and the fear around pain is the biggest reason why pain serves as a distraction. No fear, no distraction, no reason for the pain, pain goes away. For some people, that works. For others such as myself (my TMS also presents as neck pain), it took more than just reading the books. The books lessened my pain for sure, but it wasn't until I started being active on this forum and working my way through the Structured Educational Program that I've been finding my pain goes away. I'm only on day 10, but I've had several pain free days. I had the pain come back with a vengeance the past three days, but I realized I've been more anxious and stressed than usual and have been working my way through those emotions and today, I've found myself once again pain free. No neck pain what-so-ever today and I have a bulging disc and spinal stenosis or whatever.

Welcome to the forum and to your healing journey! :) It's good to have you.