1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Muscle Strain (low back)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cax, Jan 17, 2016.

1. cax

cax New Member

I have been trying the TMS approach for a while now after few years of chronic back pain, but not yet pain free. Anyhow, the other day I bent to lift something - twisted and sprained a muscle in my low back. Not a medical diagnosis, just my guess at what happened. On various occasion over the past 20+ years, I have had similar episodes, which cause pain that gradually lessens and I gain mobility after a month or so.

Couple questions:
    1. Any suggested treatments to reduce the pain and speed recovery?
    2. Since I would not consider this "chronic" and assume I will recover back to my usual back pain, would this incident be a TMS condition?

2. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

I too am looking for an answer I strained my muscle in my low back and now it pinches when I do anything. so If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated. how is your back feeling now cax?

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

For me, when I have lower back pain, I apply moist heat. Just a small towel of that helps relax the muscles. An Advil or Tylenol also helps.
    The pain may be caused by some emotion and not be structural. I suggest you start the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site, to help you discover any repressed emotions that may be causing your pain. My guess it is not structural, but I am not a doctor. I think the back pain is from some emotions. Pain that persists for years is not likely to be structural but from our TMS emotions. Down deep there may be some anger that you both have not dealt with or admitted, or maybe even have not admitted to yourself. Writing about ourselves in the journaling part of the SEP can help you discover those emotions.

4. cax

cax New Member

Brendan - Yes, my back is doing better, but will still take a while to return to my normal chronic pain only. As Walt said, I find moist heat and ibuprofen are helpful. Instead of moist heat, I will usually try some cream or patch (camphor, capsaicin, menthol, etc) so I can keep moving. Laying immobile is not helpful for my recovery.

I also try to get a good night sleep and keep moving during the day so the muscles don't get extra stiff, which slows my recovery.

5. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I think you're 're on he right track, Cax, with your approach. Immobility has never helps me; on the contrary it gives me time to stew and focus on the pain rather than other issues!
    I too strongly recommend the SEP, as Walt suggested. It's a lifesaver!
    Blessings!