1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Muscle spasm

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lessmore, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Lessmore

Lessmore New Member

Hey everybody!

Just want to eliminate all those structural things...
    In 9 yrs of pain i developed on my left low back side much stronger muscles then on my healthy right side. Its visible and obvious. Feels like a muscle spasm and its painful. When i am bending forward it hurts and at the same time rotates me to one side. Is it possible that TMS produces that spasm? Or have i developed that spasm in years because i was always avoiding pain and rotated a little bit every time i needed to bend? Little bit confused ...
    Have anybody had symptoms like that?
    Thank You!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lessmore:

Your brain is actually in charge of all physiological processes, which means it is quite capable of producing symptoms on its own that make no sense. Phantom limb pain is a well-known and fully-documented example. The most effective treatment for it is fascinating, by the way - it's all about retraining the brain: https://www.ted.com/talks/vilayanur_ramachandran_on_your_mind (3 clues to understanding your brain)

Your brain is also quite capable of creating symptoms that are so unique, that you will never find someone who has the same symptom. So my advice is, don't spend time trying! Remember (assuming that you've read Dr. Sarno and are doing some kind of program): distraction is the name of the game - the game your brain is playing to keep you worried and in fear. When you give in to distraction, you are not going to recover.

As for real physical effects of TMS, I've had them: "Before Sarno" my atlas-0ccipital joint (part of the cervical vertebrae at the base of my head, I think) would go "out" and I regularly had to see my chiro to "put it back". The thing is, when this happened, not only did I get terrible headaches, but my husband could literally feel the large protrusion on the back of my neck (he said it was creepy). Just before I discovered Dr. Sarno, I was seeing a sacro-cranial "alternative" MD who wanted me to quit the chiro, and who said I could teach my A-O joint to go back in by itself, by talking to it, and by soothing myself. And I did. I didn't even have to massage it - all I would do is kind of stroke it back towards center, visualizing it going back into place, while I relaxed and did some deep breathing. It totally worked - the bump and the headache would be gone by the next day without any chiropractic intervention, and it tended to stay in place longer. Although, I didn't really understand what was going on.

It wasn't until I read The Divided Mind, and started doing the work on this forum, that I understood the mechanism behind all of this - including my ability to treat myself.

3. Lessmore

Lessmore New Member

Thanks for Your reply and support!
    As i wrote before, when i am runnung for example (any kind of other sports with changing direction makes it even worse) i get muscle inflammation which used to feel great as i am ex athlete...but now it makes my usual pain even worse. I just cannot separate muscle inflammation from my tms pain.