1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Muscle overuse question

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by swingline77, Dec 13, 2014.

1. swingline77

swingline77 New Member

It's Sarno's position that if a muscle can't contract, it won't, and if a muscle contracts, nothing is wrong with the system. Leaving out other tissues (tendons, ligaments, etc.) do you think that this is the case? I am extremely deconditioned from fibromyalgia. I engaged in a series of rapid "crunch" like activities for about 30 sec to a min. Virtually immediately after, I felt a little discomfort. Over the next two hours, the discomfort grew into pain that has been with me for the past two days, and is not "extreme" now, many hours since I woke up. My stomach muscles feel "damaged".

I wonder if I could (not whether I do or not) have a legitimate injury, or if this is far more likely TMS. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Something similar happened with arm muscles last year, and it took months for the muscles to feel better. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't think you hurt yourself. You just used some muscles you hadn't used in a while.
    You're bound to feel some discomfort.

I think you are looking for pain. If you look for it, you'll find it.

Don't think about pain, don't monitor it.

I think your pain is from TMS. Your subconscious is telling you to do some thinking and
    journaling about repressed emotions and/or a perfectionist or goodist personality.

That is the whole reason behind TMS. To discover who you are, how you react to life and to others.
    Then pain relief will come, but even better is you will be a happier, healthier person.

3. swingline77

swingline77 New Member

thanks, I appreciate the response

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Many of us with TMS are hypersensitive to pain. What may be just temporary achy muscles to non-TMSers can be experienced as excruciating long lasting pain to us. Pain occurs in the brain and we all produce and experience it differently. It is a true mindbody phenomenon and is very real. So while I doubt that you "damaged" your muscles, I can empathize that it feels that way.

5. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Even if you did pull a muscle, it'll get better within a week or two. Often trying to figure out whether it's TMS or an injury is just a psychological form of TMS. It'll be okay either way.

If something took months to feel better, it was likely TMS. Muscle pulls don't take that long to heal.

Alan

6. swingline77

swingline77 New Member

7. swingline77

swingline77 New Member

I happened to go to my general practitioner for an unrelated matter days after this "injury". I asked the GP about it, and was told that what I experienced "didn't fit the usual pattern of injury". I have been repeating to myself over and over "I am fine and healthy". The pain went away within a few days, and I have since resumed even more strenuous abdominal exercise.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That's great, swingtime. You told your subconscious you were feeling fine and healthy and the muscle pain
    went away. Also great that you resumed exercise. Alan Gordon's reply is so helpful. What a great friend he is
    of TMS healing.

9. lorrie

lorrie New Member

Hello,

Last night I playfully demonstrated some ballet positions to my husband. (I worked to become a ballerina but in my day they were not shy about evaluations. I am short and curvy. Not built for ballet)

OUCH! A position I hadn't tried in 8 years. Ow ow my leg. I ignored it but slapped a few pain patches on my "worst" areas. The new area was on the TOP of my left leg near the bottom. Please, I know my body. No way could this be real. Off to sleep.

Woke up about 6 hours later and the pain had shifted to the BOTTOM of my leg. I know ballet and again, totally stupid place for pain. It was hilarious. I felt like I was in the courtroom cross examining a stupid client. (Lawyer & college prof before retired at 50. Going back to teaching hopefully).

Woke up, leg pain migrated to upper thigh on RIGHT leg not left. I'm like PLEASE! Pain, you are RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!! You are not even TRYING! Get the ;()&@ out!!!

This could not be a more classic case of TMJ.

I want to go en pointe! (Toe shoes). But if not, being in the crowd scene in the Nutcracker will do just freaking fine). I don't want to seem like I'm giving up but..I want to teach & practice law. Cannot devote 6 hours a day to ballet for years. Fun to dream though.

I can still fit in the costume I wore in 1992! So vain. Every new pain pill that had a side effect of weight gain went in the trash. Now, I'm GLAD!!!!

Funny I don't remember this much CELLULITE in 1992 lol.