1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Moving can it help ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I was always wondering get a fresh start somewhere else could help you heal, I am very aware you bring your issues along with you , but can new place rewire your pain singles from your brain?

on top of it all I have bad weather triggers that I can't get over the hurdle , I live in Boston…daaa and the weather changes here are brutal. Again I know its a trigger and there is bad weather everywhere.

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Boston, I moved from snowy Montana to sunny Arizona and give thanks everyday that we did it. However, my TMS has been going pretty strong in spite of the sunshine. We were familiar with the town we moved too but even still, I do miss my friends and rhythms of our hometown.

Like anything…there are tradeoffs.

I am so glad to be living here. The weather and shortened daylight hours in the Montana winter were getting to be more than I could bear.

3. Boston Redsox

NS

thx for responding, I feel a change would help but I would be leaving a lot o family …I think I may need to deal with my tms a little more until I seriously make the move. At least start to get of my meds would be a great start.

North Star likes this.
  4. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Boston. It's funny I recover amazingly during the beautiful summer season in vancouver where I live, as soon as the weather changes in sept the pain flares up. I noticed the same pattern for 2 years! I have been in a flare up on and off since sept . But many times 98 percent recovered from my nerve pain. A fresh start is always good but I have realized that the emotional work needs to be done specially for those of us who carry too much daily anxiety to just ignore the pain, use affirmations or try to meditate it away. I try to walk the pain away and keep active but fear and anxiety always gets me and I flare up. I just began using the Unlearn your pain workbook. I wish you well.

5. blake

blake Well known member

Hi Boston,

The move might be good, but for me moving is something that is super stressful. And like you said, we take our problems with us wherever we go.

The cold weather has definitely been affecting my mood and making me feel a bit depressed lately. I would love to live in beautiful Vancouver like you, Alexandra.

6. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I find that you carry TMS around with you in your brain no matter in what new physical environment you place or find yourself. However, if you get absorbed in reorienting yourself to a new reality in a new environment, changing your location can help. It's how you engage your new environment that really makes the difference and, again, that's an internal reorientation inside yourself. If you carry the same old emotional baggage into your new space, the TMS is going to thrive and persist there nevertheless. It's the TMS head work that makes all the difference no matter where you are geographically or physically.

Ellen likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

My best friend hated Chicago winters (a lot like Boston but not as much snow, at least this year), so he and his wife and kids moved to San Diego.
    He missed his friends and made few in San Diego and when he became sick with a serious illness he didn't find the same level of care at area
    hospitals so he had his wife put him on a plane back here and the care he he said he got at Evanston hospital saved his life.

So moving can be a trade-off. I think we take our TMS symptoms with us. I hate Chicago winters, too, but this is home. I agree with Bruce.
    Belief in TMS is more likely to heal than moving. Remember the old story about the man from Samarkand, who thought that Death would not find him if he moved away? I think TMS can find us if we move.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

This is the tale about the man from Samarkand...

In the Samarkand legend, a servant encounters a woman in the market place at Baghdad, and recognizes her as Death. The ominous figure looks into the face of the servant and makes what seems to him a threatening gesture. Trembling with fear, the servant runs home, borrows his master's horse, and rides like the wind all the way to Samarkand so that Death will not be able to find him.

Later, the master sees Death and asks her why the threatening gesture. And Death says, "There was no threat. I was merely startled to see your servant in Baghdad, for I have an appointment with him tonight in Samarkand."

Boston Redsox and Lizzy like this.
  9. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Personality might play a role in whether moving could help. Do big changes bothed you alot? Moving is high on the list for stress. Might be worth it once you adjust. The adjustment is hellacious for me ☺

10. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Actually, for nearly all my life - at least as long as my domineering, controlling, conflicted parents were still alive - I've notice that moving really improved my overall health. If I was a 1000 miles away from forgiving mom and punishing dad, my asthma, allergies, and rashes would subside as I physically moved away from the pressure and stress. But you can see that moving away was still a tacit admission that my relationship with them was really, really strong. That's the kind of ingrained big stuff you need to be aware of before you just move to a new locale to try to escape your TMS symptoms or they'll move along with you. Deep understanding of your own psychological motivations is the key to TMS healing.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  11. Boston Redsox

Alex

thx for your response, I also do better in the summer time but soon as Oct/Nov hits I am in a constant flare…I can't seem to get to get off my pain meds I would not able to work ( I am in the construction trades). its very hard to stop and think my pain away or meditate during the day. I do in the evening along with journaling..also going threw a divorce not a messy one but still brings up a lot of emotional pain.

Thx

12. Boston Redsox

Blake.

thx for your response, that what I am worried about taking my issues with me…I need to deal with how I react to them and once I do that I will move.

Marco

13. Boston Redsox

I guess that would bring more stress then its worth, thx for your response