1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

More and more symptoms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by kkcarlton, Jul 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Hi,

I have read about the extinction burst and also that the brain will create new symptoms as old ones leave. So far I am just getting more symptoms. I still have back pain, fatigue and trouble sleeping. In addition, I have pain in my right heel daily (an issue I had in 1995/6), pain in my right wrist (new), pain in my right shoulder (an issue I had in 2010), two nights ago I had rectal pain (something that started shortly after my hysterectomy in 2003 but I haven't had in months), and last night I had pain where my left ovary used to be. This is something I dealt with before the hysterectomy and also after, but again, something I haven't had in probably 8 to 10 years. It was so bad it took my breath away and I could barely move. I am also suddenly dealing with anxiety. I feel completely overwhelmed. I can see symptoms new symptoms as others leave, but this feels like way too much too handle.

I did slowly cut back on estrogen and then stopped earlier this week as I was estrogen dominant.

When does it get better?

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi kkcarlton,

Of course I cannot guarantee it, but your story screams TMS.

Flare-ups are pretty common in TMS. One way to see it is that the more you focus on the underlying emotions, the more your mind feels the need to distract you with symptoms like pain or anxiety. It seems your brain set fire to all the neural pathways that it created over the years. I see it as a sign of your brain panicking that soon the gig will be up. It throws everything at you that it has to its disposal. Sometimes when I had a flare-up I talked to my brain: 'Is that all??? Is that really all you got?? I know your plan buddy, and it is not going to work'.

When does it get better?? Nobody knows, it is a personal journey that can be instant, take a couple of months or maybe even more than a year. I feel it is better to not think about when your symptoms will decrease, because it will probably only bring you fear, anger and disappointment. Simply try to trust that you will get better sooner or later, because you will if you treat it as TMS.
    In the meantime I suggest reading the recent threads of Alan Gordon's new program on this forum. He has very wise words about how (not) to react to your symptoms.

take care and be kind to yourself

Ellen likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It gets better when you believe 100 percent in TMS, that our personality and repressed emotions cause our pain. It can take a while. Anxiety is part of the healing process. Just accept the anxiety, keep active which helps to calm you.

Ewok likes this.
  4. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Thank you both for your replies...it does make sense. What I am wrestling with is that I am treating menopause (because I don't have ovaries and my adrenals seem stressed as well) and finding balance with treatment is hard, so there is some question whether some symptoms are caused by too much or too little hormones. Same with adrenal fatigue. I started taking Maca and then switched to adrenal cortex extract (to help with supposed low cortisol) but I am not sure that's helpful. I wonder if it will just add more confusion. I was on adrenal cortex extract 2015/2016. At first it worked great but after my mom died January 2016 I could not find a dose that truly worked for more than a few days and then it was either too much or too little. Same with other adrenal support supps, potassium, sleep aids, etc. - I guess that also screams TMS. I assume the brain can change direction once you find something that works so that it doesn't work anymore?

I am finally seeing Dr. Schubiner on Tuesday. Hopefully that will eliminate any remaining doubt.

Gigalos - I have been reading Alan's new program posts daily and they are very helpful.

5. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Great you are seeing him! Always visit a doctor first to rule out anything serious.