1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Migraine question

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Wendyc, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

I’ve been a lot better but yesterday towards the afternoon I was feeling really stressed with some issues with my sons school, his dad and some medical bills I just received from his surgery. Actually from noon on I was already dealing with a little bit of anxiety due to the school issue but I kept positive. I also have a meeting today at the school to discuss my son that I am not looking forward to. I feel that I don’t want to go cause I don’t want to admit that possibly I am not helping my son enough in school, I am to lenient with him. So last night after all was done I had a pain in my stomach under my ribs and this is where my hiatal hernia likes to say “hello”. To be honest the way the pain came on suddenly it almost had me at “hello” I had to relax and rub my stomach and realize it was just TMS because of everything from the day. Well it subsided within a few minutes usually this would turn into bloating and more pains etc. Now this morning I had thumb pain to foot pain and now a migraine wants to start. I can feel that the migraine is coming from some tension in my neck… what I want to know is do I keep telling myself it’s just TMS and ignore it or is it ok to rub that tense muscle or put an ointment or is that feeding into thinking it’s not TMS I really think it is TMS. I hope I explained that correctly. I guess since I know it’s TMS and my muscle is tense I just want to take care of it before it turns into a full blown migraine. Once a muscle is tense or spasm do we take care of it?

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

You are doing the right thing by recognizing IT'S TMS!!!--you get it! You can also, while recognizing it's TMS, lessen the pain symptoms with pain-killers, ice, a glass of wine, etc.--whatever works. You may be comforted to learn that migraines, were Dr. Sarno's very own first psychosomatic/TMS symptom, that tipped him off to the emotional origins of chronic TMS pain and started him on his theory. He was tipped off by a psychiatrist colleague, that his migraine was due to repressed emotions, creating pain as a defense mechanism. So he was helped out too in finding the TMS path, I don't know if he took a couple of Tylenols for it, it would be interesting to know if he took meds for his symptoms or went cold turkey? I wonder if he rx'ed Voltaren/diclofenac?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

I read one o
    I just literally received the Mind Body Prescription book here at work today, hopefully I can find more on Migraines. I did however read a success story on migraines after posting and guess what?? :rolleyes: all better now

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Wendy,

I agree with Tom. You can both tell yourself that your migraine is TMS and do what you need to to feel better. It sounds like you a very clear that the cause of your migraines is psychological, so you are well on your way.

I don't know if it was my success story you read, but I recovered from migraines after having them for 50 years. So if I can do it, anyone can.

Are you doing a structured educational program, like the one that is free on this site (the SEP)? I highly recommend it, as it gives you a way to work on your TMS a little bit every day.

Best wishes on your road to recovery. Feel free to ask questions any time. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

5. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

I started the structural program but decide to finish my new book first .. Should be done I a few days