1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Meditation

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Cherylie, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Cherylie

Cherylie New Member

:confused: As soon as I "relax" one part of me, another part of me tightens up. I don't even know if I'd recognize true relaxation - I'm never relaxed. One or more of my parts is always on high alert -- ready to spring into action.

I can see how the body scan would be helpful at bedtime, as I've begun to realize that even when I lie down, I don't relax. What the heck?

I appreciate the common-man explanation of meditation, because I'm one of those who thought there was a LOT more to it than just being. Being in the moment and not judging whatever comes. Relaxing and being, relaxing and being, relaxing and being. ooooohmmmmm :rolleyes:

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Cherylie, 1 question
    How long have you practiced meditation
    Sounds like you've done mindfulness
    How long did you practice mindfulness.
    I remember when I first started back to meditating
    after a 5 yr. lay off, I couldn't get into it for anything.

Then I kept at it, each day I would get a little closer to finally being able to relax again
    and now its like, I've got to do this to have my balance, my soothe on
    but I do remember how hard it was to get used too.

Im here just saying I believe you can do anything you want to Cherylie
    you already have come around the second base heading home.

Good luck with everything and were here if you got any questions.

3. Cherylie

Cherylie New Member

Herbie, I'm new to doing any kind of mental exercise, whether it be called mindfulness, meditation, relaxation....

I'm probably mixing terminology and misusing the nomenclature.

"Meditation" has always seemed to difficult to achieve as I've seen it described and practiced, this effortless ability to achieve calmness and peacefulness. I have learned that (my goodness, like EVERYTHING) it's a journey, not the destination.

"Mindfulness" is a new concept for me, and I think maybe that's what I'm calling meditation.

I'm impressed with how many people - gurus and peers - monitor these posts and offer their support.

Thanks, everyone.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Cherylie)- Herbie, I'm new to doing any kind of mental exercise, whether it be called mindfulness, meditation, relaxation....

I'm probably mixing terminology and misusing the nomenclature.

"Meditation" has always seemed to difficult to achieve as I've seen it described and practiced, this effortless ability to achieve calmness and peacefulness. I have learned that (my goodness, like EVERYTHING) it's a journey, not the destination.

Eric)- Its cool that your new to the meditation process, most folks are- I got in on the meditation years ago because ive been into mindbody therapy for a long time. Anyhow it doesn't matter that your new, if you practice for 10 minutes a day just relaxing meditation, well in 21 days or 30 youll become conditioned to relax ok. So you have to practice even though it seems not to work at first im sure after a couple of weeks it will become easier for you then after 30 days and it becomes habit you will be able to really use this soothing tool to help calm your sensitization or worry ya know.

Cherylie)-"Mindfulness" is a new concept for me, and I think maybe that's what I'm calling meditation.

Eric)- Mindfulness meditation is what its called, The word Meditation is general for lots of different types of meditations ok-
    This thread should help you understand mindfulness a bit better- http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/what-are-some-mindfulness-techniques.2529/
    and Dr. Howard Shubiner has a blog about mindfulness here- http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Mindfulness_Meditation
    Cherylie)-" I'm impressed with how many people - gurus and peers - monitor these posts and offer their support.

Eric)- When you learn that you can heal your body from structural pain with your mind it has a way of getting you excited at helping others ya know, plus most all of us have been looking for this secret our whole lives.

Cherylie)- Thanks, everyone.

Eric)- Thank you Cherylie