1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What are some mindfulness techniques

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

There is more than one way to practice mindfulness, but the goal of any mindfulness technique is to achieve a state of alert, focused relaxation by deliberately paying attention to thoughts, feelings, and sensations without judgment. This allows the mind to refocus on the present moment. All mindfulness techniques are forms of meditation.

Basic mindfulness meditation—Sit quietly and focus on your natural breathing or on a word or mantra that you repeat silently. Allow thoughts to come and go without judgment and return to your focus on breath or mantra.

Body sensations—Notice subtle body sensations such as an itch or tingling without judgment and let them pass. Notice each part of your body in succession from head to toe.

Sights and sounds—Notice sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touches. Name them "sight," "sound," "smell," "taste," or "touch" without judgment and let them go.

Emotions—Allow emotions to be present without judging them. Practice a steady and relaxed naming of emotions: "joy," "anger," "frustration."

Urge surfing—When you feel a craving or an urge (to eat excess food, use an addictive substance, or practice an unwanted behavior), acknowledge the urge and understand that it will pass. Notice how your body feels as the craving enters. Replace the wish for the craving to go away with the certain knowledge that it will subside.
    More Answers from Ronald Siegel
    Less

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

What Ronald Siegel seems to be saying about mindfulness meditation is almost exactly what Howard Schubiner says in the "Mindfulness" chapter of his Unlearn Your Pain workbook. The "deliberately paying attention to thoughts, feelings, and sensations without judgment" sounds very much what Dr Schubiner says about noticing ideas and emotions without any judgment and then letting go of them. Even the first meditation on the CD enclosed in the book jacket of Unlearn Your Pain is entitled "Mindfulness". Do you know, Eric, if the techniques of mindfulness meditation are common to a certain school or approach?

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Yea, mindfulness is studied by lots of different establishments
    I think it started thousands of years ago
    when someone noticed that just being
    was the best way to think.

4. BruceMC

Sure sounds like one of the core techniques at the heart of Mahayana Buddhism, the 'Greater Vehicle' preserved in the Himalayas up in Tibet. But I bet a lot of people have 'stumbled on it' (so to speak!) all on their lonesomes because it works and it's true.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

I know I had to learn it.
    I first learnt it - knowing how it was there
    so I could use it was Dr. Zafirides talk show
    The healthy mind, then I've studied it since
    I've always used it in the past, just never knew id control it
    Its a good feeling to know your in control while in mindfulness
    Works good, a lot different names-
    but the same. Maybe the myans invented it
    I know Buddhist practice it
    Its also the secret to successful prayer.
    Im sure some hillbillies found it and
    the Olympics always use it.
    Its also used in martial arts as the chi and etc....
    Very universal tool if used as directed

6. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

Yoga is my preferred method of mindfulness. Specifically hot yoga, because even in a normal yoga class I can still manage to worry, obsess, etc. Hot yoga is so incredibly demanding that I have no choice but to focus on my breath and the poses. It also gives me a sense wellbeing, power and accomplishment! I highly recommend the book Yoga as Medicine, which specifically sites Dr. Sarno in the back pain chapter.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  7. BruceMC

Sort of like rock climbing: Your normal fear of falling off makes you concentrate on body mechanics and breathing. No way to obsess or get uptight: your survival instincts override any non-essential obsessive traits. I imagine Tai Chi has similar characteristics, that is, if you're doing it right. But rock climbing way out from protection won't let you "not do it right".

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thanks, I love it
    Yoga as Medicine
    Is it hard poses that make it hot yoga?
    Or intensity as BruceMC said.
    or both id assume huh

9. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

Tai Chi is very similar! I love Tai Chi as well and my dear friend owns a studio where I used to practice. Alas it is too far from home now that I'm at home with kiddos. Tai Chi is intricate and involves memorization and concentration to perform the moves correctly and in sequence. You cannot have "monkey mind" and do it correctly! I can still do it in my backyard, but at this point I require more focus of a studio. My friend could do Tai Chi in a busy airport and not think twice about it!

10. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

Hot Yoga is done in a studio of 90 to 105 degrees with 50-60% humidity. In other words it is like doing yoga in Houston during August! :) If you don't breathe, you will pass out! The poses are difficult, but the beautiful thing about yoga is that even though it is often done in a studio with others, it is your own practice. Some may be balancing on one leg with their other outstretched in a perfect pose and the person on the next mat may be simply balancing on one foot. It is a journey and progression over time.

11. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thanks panda girl- that's great information
    im looking to go into more Yoga like p90x
    What cha think
    I know the mindfulness isn't there
    but I can be mindful with the stretches or static holds.
    Right, or would the balance of chi be more appropriate?
    I like both

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Float Like a butterfly- Very good explanation, thanks
    yea, its like 90 here in Georgia when I work out
    so the intensity is understood- Brutal

13. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

p90x yoga is a great workout, but I don't know about the mindfulness aspect. I can't get the same effect doing yoga at home because of distractions. Eventually I think I'll be able to train my mind in that manner, but a Fisher Price golf club to the head is a very real distraction! So is the laundry and the dishes. I like the idea of going into a studio and shutting the door on the busy world. There's nothing else I need to do but enjoy my 60 minutes! You might really enjoy it though, so give it a try! Worst case you'll get 6-pack abs!

14. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Pandagirl) - A Fisher Price golf club to the head is a very real distraction! So is the laundry and the dishes.
    I like the idea of going into a studio and shutting the door on the busy world.

Eric )- Wise advice, This makes Sense- Thanks, sounds like the thing to do, Im sold.
    I got Yoga as an Universal Science now onto Yoga as Medicine

15. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Mindfulness is not about removing yourself from the current situation, or thinking elsewhere, but about "seeing" how you are connected to what is in the moment, body, mind, and soul.

Ego shields full consciousness. If we can get past the point of trying to examine what we can get out of a situation, for ourselves, and just be in the situation, observing, feeling, sensing, without evaluating, the moment stays, and time stands still. There's no past or future, only now. A first kiss is a great example of mindfulness. Time stands still and the only thing in the universe is the one you're about to kiss. Nothing else matters, you're in the moment, feeling, sensing, reacting, as the world falls away, but you're connected (especially at the lips).

I'm at my best when I'm creating, music, language, or anything where the experience of my life surfaces, without goal or purpose. It simply becomes. It's very difficult to explain to others, but it's a very vulnerable state of great power and serenity. The power of now.

Steve

16. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Steve Ozanich- I'm at my best when I'm creating, music, language, or anything where the experience of my life surfaces, without goal or purpose. It simply becomes. It's very difficult to explain to others, but it's a very vulnerable state of great power and serenity. The power of now.

Eric)- This is Great Steve, Truth....

17. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve, I agree about being in the moment when we kiss.

That's how I am when I kiss my dog.

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Never on the lips, of course.

Rinkey, Gigi and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  19. Eric "Herbie" Watson

I remember as a child and I got my first kiss from my girlfriend,
    brother I was in the moment, shaking, scared, alert, conscious of the whole thing:)

20. BruceMC

I can also remember the moment when I should have kissed the girl and started a new life, but my superego intruded and said, "Bruce, go back to the Bay Area and get to work!" Interesting how you remember those moment too. Sort of like, 'the Road not taken.'