1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Making Progress - Fears switching

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Pingman, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Ok - So I am making some progress. I am seeing thing in my life turn back to where they wehere before my TMS and anxiety flared up in November.

I slept 7 hours last night for the first time in a few months with only 1 unisom pill. This is after my Dr. had me on two sleeping pills back in December.

Also, my bathroom frequency has returned to normal. I am no longer waking up at 3am to go #2 but am back to my normal time in the morning. Sorry if thats too much info.

I no longer fear that I have a a major health issue which is a huge hurdle. Leg pain is now gone from applying TMS principles, when I do feel the issues I automatically dismiss the pain and it goes away right away.

The leg pain flipped to visual sensations which brought back my fear of a neurological issue and brought on anxiety. After an MRI and assurances from eye Dr. and my GP I have worked my way through my fear of a major issue leading to any visual issues. I started to believe in tension causing this and one that started my eye issues have gotten somewhat better but the tension on my temples and in my head has increased. I can also feel pressure behind my eyes.

I think the majority of my head issues started when I took the sleeping pills and got worried it was messing my head up. I started symptom checking.

While I have gotten things under control and redued my stress and anxiety down a bunch in the last week, I still feel like I have given myself some long-term tension or migraine head issues and visual issues.

I know that is not the case since I can still function but thats where the TMS fear has landed. I keep thinking about how Eric was able to overcome a year a sever headaches as well as Pandagirl. Even when reading the definition of a tension headache its caused by tension and stress. Its the visual disturbances that get me since that doesn't fit the mold of tension heaches but I don't have any of the other symptoms of migraines.

I think TMS is using fear against me but I think I have it on the run. Fear of a long-term issue has been the constant with all of my thoughts of the issues as they bounce around.

I have finally figured out what my biggest issue it is.... Fear of a long term problem.

2. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

Maybe use an affirmation when you feel it the most in your head/vision? I have this chronic back thing. Sometimes I have no pain and sometimes it gets to me. When the rough moments happen, I use my affirmations. My back is healthy and strong. I say this about five times and visualize oxygenated blood running through that area. Even if you say it a 100 times in a day, I believe it helps re-teach those paths. If you say or do something enough, we become creatures of habit.

3. Pingman

Joseph - Your comments are so true and what I have been doing. Today has been a little worse. I have started to feel the visual sensations which I haven't had for about 3 days and it brought on some fear. That always makes me forget about the process of telling myself it is ok. I need to work on that more....that is what has gotten me back to the better place I am at today.

4. Pingman

Anyone have a form of TMS in which you seem to associate your symptoms with what others claim they have? I seem to do this out of fear. I was in a good place and started reading some of another members post regarding her migraines headaches and started to wonder if that is what I have. I in no way have any serious pain..more so just pressure and can function as normal. The fact that light sensitivity is associated to migraines made me think I have them and spiked my anxiety. Then I rad online what light sensitivity and auras are and I am pretty sure I would know that I had that.

Anyones TMS use the issues of others to trick you into thinking you have that?