1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Made some progress...

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by E. Lynn, Nov 30, 2014.

1. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

Hi Everyone,

It's been a little while since I've joined and wrote up my intro story(late October I think), but I've made some progress and thought I would post it here for those who are dealing with similar issues.

I've had problems with pain in my SI joints for YEARS and it has gotten much better. For the last 2 years it has been worse than ever, even hurting while in bed. I discovered that I was holding tension in those joints, even while sleeping, because I was afraid I would let my lower back arch too far forward which I associated with pain from a former injury. I realized that injury was long gone, got kinda mad about it, and consciously made the decision not to worry about the positioning of my pelvis night or day. I haven't been to see the chiropractor in weeks! Yes! One thing to note though, I had some family discord last night and my right SI joint started hurting. I saw it for what is was(repressed anger) and it went away within about five minutes.

I also have TMS/back pain while doing the dishes, and even washing my hair. It hurts right below my shoulder blades, just above the middle of my back. I KNOW without a doubt it is TMS. It starts hurting sometimes as soon as I start washing dishes or am in the shower for just a little while, which is ridiculous. It is definitely a conditioned response from all those years of not knowing what caused my pain and thinking I had something wrong with my back. My dishwasher broke down a few days ago, and as I was washing dishes two days ago, I was really deep in thought about a plot point in a story I've been writing. Guess what? I noticed midway though, because I wasn't really thinking or worrying about the pain, I had very minimal pain after the dishes were done.

Lastly, I've been working on heel pain/plantar fascitis and tinnitus. I've made a little progress on both, though it is slow going. I went without my arch supports today, though :) One thing I've learned, is the subconscious mind can be S-L-O-W to change.

I plan to keep working on all of these and keeping learning. I hope this helps someone.

E. Lynn

2. lolaskip

lolaskip New Member

It's so encouraging to hear this! I can't believe you have dealt with this for so long--how frustrating, but congrats to you for not quitting and glad you are finding some relief.

Thanks for your post on my thread about SI joints. It's one of those diagnoses that is less common than herniated disks and nice to hear that others have been through it and finding improvement.

As far a tinnitus, I'm relatively young and have experienced it only briefly on and off, but I noticed it always goes away with a neck massage. No doubt releasing some tension will help you!

I'm headed back to work this week with my cranky SI joint, which will be a hurdle for me to not obsess about if it's in alignment all the time. I have definitely noticed less "movement" in the joint since I started this program a week ago, but I'm sure that time will be the best thing to help convince myself this is not some sort of fluke and am on the road to recovery.

Good luck E Lynn I'll be rooting for you!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm with lolaskip in rooting for you, E Lynn.
    I too am a writer (books for preteens and teenagers mostly) and always find that when'
    I'm engrossed in writing, I do not feel or think about pain. Researching, writing puts me in an
    activity in the present moment, and that helps a great deal. No past or future worries...
    just feeling and thinking and being in the present.

Your positive thinking is taking you on the road to recovery.

4. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

Thanks Lolaskip and Walt :)

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Your kitty looks adorable.
    I love cats but am allergic to them.

6. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt. She's a sweety. I'm allergic too, so she's actually an outdoor kitty, but my daughter brings her inside at least once a day. As long as I don't touch my face after I pet her, and go wash my hands, I'm good. I'm way more allergic to pollens. Allergies stink!

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks for explaining how you can live with a cat and have allergies.
    I live in Chicago so an outdoor cat would not be possible in our cold, snowy winters.
    I love my dog but she won't be with me forever. She'll be 13 in March.

8. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

I hear you, Walt. I'm in OK. where the winters or milder, but we just finished building both cats a insulated cat house because it can still get cold at times. Is your dog I lab mix? I had two of those, my last just passed away about a year ago. She was part lab, part chow. She made it to 15! The other was about 3/4 lab and she made it to 13. I miss them. Someone dropped off a dachshund mix here about 2 years ago and I took him in. He's a mix of sweetness and destructiveness. Have you had your dog since she was a puppy?