1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

LucyMagoo new to the program

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by LucyMagoo, May 21, 2015.

1. LucyMagoo

LucyMagoo Newcomer

Hi, I am new to the structured program. I first read Dr. Sarno's book Healing Back Pain after seeing Stossel talk about him, about 8 months ago. I have had some success, but now I find I have new 'pains.' I am 61 and began tae kwon do class the same time I read the book. I felt old and fat and stiff, clumsy; not at all capable of doing such a vigorous and difficult endeavor. But, I started the class because I felt like I could challenge myself and do something COMPLETELY outside my comfort zone, physically and emotionally, after reading the first book. I look forward to continuing on this path. (and improving in class...)

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, LucyMagoo. You are bound to feel some pain when restarting physical activity after a long time off.
    What pain do you have and have you had a doctor determine whether it it structural?
    Even if it is structural, that could have been caused by TMS, repressed emotions and/or a
    perfectionist or goodist personality.

If you think you will not be in pain taking the tae kwan do classes, it will help you not to feel pain.
    Thinking or fearing pain brings on pain.

I think you are doing fine. Keep it up. Steve Ozanich writes in his excellent book,
    THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION, that he played golf despite his pain, and between that
    and realizing his pain came from TMS anger, healed him. He was angry with doctors who
    needless put his wife in a wheelchair and nearly killed her.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lucy and Walt,
    Welcome Lucy, and thank you Walt for your wonderful welcome, as usual.
    Andy B.

4. LucyMagoo

LucyMagoo Newcomer

Thanks for the encouragement. My new pain is shoulder pain. My dilemma in going to my physician is that she will send me to a surgeon. How can I find a doctor that specializes in determining whether or not a problem is TMS or just structural?

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS doctors are in various cities. You might find one in the forums.

I would not go to a doctor who immediately recommends surgery.

You could start a TMS doctor search by going to the subform in which
    we ask TMS practitioners for advice.

6. samantha

samantha Peer Supporter

After beginning this program, the pain that was in my back began to manifest itself in my knees! I realized this was a 'trick' by my brain to keep me focused on physical, rather than emotional pain. Kudos for going to Tae Kwon Do.