1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

lower back and (R) leg pain unbearable

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by nancy, Sep 19, 2013.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Nancy....you are not alone...thinking of you...
    PS What part of TN are you in? I lived in Nashville for many years...

2. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi, I wish to thank you so very much, someone cares that knows this problem!! You have made my life so much
    easier to accept. I was looking at a life all alone and now have hope do alleviate this pain. I lost my spouse 3 yrs ago
    to this pain, he didn't believe my pain at all. He was used to me taking care of everything and then I just could not.
    I did not stop taking care of daily duties, but was so down with the pain. He took his own life, not due to me but this
    has greatly influenced my pain. He was a prof person, just things went wrong, I do not know why. He turned to RX
    drugs without me knowing and took his life in front of my son and I. This is all I can write tonight, very hard. I thank
    you for your concern and will follow your suggestions. Keep on supporting me if you wish, Thanks so much, Nancy

3. North Star

Nancy, no wonder you're in so much pain. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all better. You've got so much fresh grief to deal with. Be patient with yourself, it takes time to heal both emotionally and physically.
    If you think you need to find a therapist who is more effective in helping you, don't hesitate to look around for referrals.
    Praying for you....

4. nancy

nancy Well known member

I thank you for caring, it is hard but I must get through this. I had the leg pain before all of
    happened. I felt terrible because it was hard to walk, I had to quit my job which he hated.
    I felt so guilty because I was always a strong person. I never failed him in any way. Once I did
    I was gone. A lot more to this story. Thanks, Love, Nancy

MontanaMom likes this.
  5. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi, thank you for thinking of me, I really appreciate your support. It means the world to me. Everyone
    of my friends seems hesitant to accept this, think I am crazy. I know I'm not. I have been a very normal
    person all my life, now I'm just a wreckage but will persist with this program and I hope I can accomplish
    pain relief, as it is awful to live with. I pray you are doing well, let me know, Love to you, Nancy

MontanaMom likes this.
  6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It is great that you are committed to the program, but I always recommend against strictly following a TMS treatment plan. The reason is that it puts pressure on yourself to get better. Pressure prevents you from allowing your emotions, and will hamper your recovery. This approach is about learning to be more open and allowing of our emotions. Pressure restricts emotions.

The other issue with following the program religiously is that it reinforces the idea that there is something wrong with you. When you are focused on following everything exactly right, you are inherently focusing on the physical and what is wrong with you. Remember, with TMS there is nothing wrong with you, and there is nothing that you need to fix. You do not have a condition that can be fixed by a program. You have a condition that can only be overcome when you change how you view your symptoms.

MontanaMom likes this.
  7. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi, I live in Spring Hill, approx. 30 min out of Nashville. I like the area although it's growing
    so quickly and the traffic is really picking up. I am orig from N.J. Where are you located? Nancy

8. North Star

I'm in southwest Montana. I know right where you're at. And yeah...it's lovely but the traffic has gotten crazy.

9. nancy

nancy Well known member

10. nancy

nancy Well known member

Thank you Forest, I see exactly what you are saying. It has been putting pressure on me and I will keep trying to
    focus on my emotions a lot more. I have has pain in my feet, legs, and lower back for 8 yrs now. Sometimes I can
    hardly walk. I saw Dr's weekly for 8yrs and had every test I think there is. They all came up with either spinal
    stenosis, arthritis, well you know the list goes on and on. Nothing they felt could surgically be fixed. I have not seen a Dr
    for my pain in almost 3mths now, no more. After realizing what is going on with me I had an experience a few weeks
    ago while traveling. I was reading one of Dr Sarno's books on my return flight home to Nashville. Now remember
    that have chronic pain only while walking or standing. I had asked that a wheel chair be avail for me as soon as
    I was off the plane to get my baggage. I stood up for the first time in 8yrs and for a moment didn't realize what was
    different. I had NO pain, none. I left the plane and walked the 3/4 miles to baggage. I must have looked like a fool because
    I was alone and had a huge smile on my face. How could I have all these diag and walk like I did yrs ago with no pain?
    It did return but what an AHA Moment! I also gave into a friend who had been asking me to go to the zoo last Sun
    and just figured if the pain got that bad there we're always scooters to rent. I was determined not to. I walked 3 miles
    that day with only minimal pain. Do you think I'm getting somewhere? My pain now moves around a lot from the foot,
    then the thigh, then both lower legs, then my lower back. Thanks, Nancy

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Nancy and Mousemom.

One of the first things I got from reading Dr. Scott Brady's TMS healing book, Pain Free for Life, was to make
    peace with God or my church and ask God's help in healing. I had not been on the outs with God but with the
    church for covering up priest pedophilia and becoming so political. I decided to leave all that to God and went
    back to feeling good about my faith in the Lord.

But when I began reading your posts today I also began thinking of some good advice from Dr. Brady about talking to
    our unconscious mind about our pain. Here are some of his suggestions which might help you:

"In your pain talk to your unconscious, you might say, 'I'm normal! There's nothing physical wrong with me,
    so stop the pain!"

The main idea, says Brady, is to talk sternly to your unconscious mind. As you talk, feel free to demand that your
    unconscious stop your pain. Be aggressive. At the same time, keep repeating to your unconscious that you're normal,
    and you won't be tricked:

"My back and leg are normal, I've got bad emotions, not any structural damage. I'm going to pull those emotions
    to the surface and think about them, so stop that pain Now.

"Now spend a few moments using your imagination to picture your unconscious mind controlling and winning
    the pain war against your pain-producing unconscious mind."

Maybe give these thoughts a chance, and some time to work toward healing you.

MontanaMom likes this.
  12. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hello! So pleased with your reply, what a caring and compassionate man. I do ask God for mercy
    each day and throughout the day. I do speak to my sub-c a lot. Perhaps not as demanding as I could
    be so I put my 3 pups outside for a few minutes because they get upset if they think I am upset. I gave
    my sub-c an awful tongue lashing!! I will keep this up. You have a lot to offer to all of us suffering from
    TMS, hope to hear from you again, Nancy Oh I just love your pup, she's beautiful!!

13. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi everyone, I am not that knowing about this site yet but hope I am posting in the right
    forum. I watched a lot of videos with Forest last pm. I got up this am with a very positive
    attitude. I used living in the moment for today and had a wonderful day, not pain free, but
    almost!! I even mowed the front lawn, small but a true pleasure to me. I love outside work
    and have missed it so much for 8 long yrs, Hope it is the beginning of recovery, Just try to
    concentrate on staying in the moment, not on your pain. I watched Forest interview with
    Nichole Sachs, very informative. Love you all, Nancy. I meant this to be sent to all including
    Forest. I need to become more savy with this site. Sorry, I am always so nervous about doing
    things wrong!

MontanaMom likes this.
  14. nancy

nancy Well known member

15. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi Stella, yes we have a lot in common between the shin splints and everything else. I worked all day
    just trying to stay in the moment, it was the best day I have had in 8 yrs. If you have not done this as
    yet, just try it. I have no idea what the morning will bring but it gave me much peace today! I even was able
    to mow the front lawn which I haven't done for yrs. I hope you are doing well, let me know. I think you
    sent me your phone #?? I can't find it on this site, if I'm wrong I apologize. Would love to talk with you,
    Nancy

16. nancy

nancy Well known member

17. nancy

nancy Well known member

18. nancy

nancy Well known member

Thank you Herbie, I know you are not that far from me in Georgia, as I live in T.N. I am desperate at this time,
    need help at this time. I am miserable and in awful pain. I have worked hard at this and still cannot seem to conquer
    this. I am sorry if my spelling is incorrect, I am in pain and hope for your support. Nancy

19. nancy

nancy Well known member

I hope you are doing a little better too! I have been trying to stay with the TMS schedule, I don't
    really know how I am doing at this point, just wishing and trying to get rid of the present pain. I
    hope this will all end for both of us. L/ Nancy

20. nancy

nancy Well known member

Walt, I need help!! I am hurting so much tonight, I have been working on all of this. I believe in God
    but am not very religious. I have worked through all of the ideas and I am left not knowing what to do.
    I know this is TMS from my history. I just wish to live a normal life once again.