1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

lower back ache

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mncjl123, Jul 1, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

o.k. I have everything tms except back problems. go figure. Anyway, I haven't played guitar in over 15 years. I picked it up and played for 30 minutes yesterday which was a miracle in itself. This morning I awoke with a severe lower back ache. I assume from the position of holding the guitar, bending and twisting motion that I haven't done in years.

will this subside soon? is this tms? or is it because my muscles did something they are not use to?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, mncjl. I think the pain came because of some still-held belief that you get pain from playing the guitar. You may have to give yourself a new and higher dose of belief in TMS, that some emotion(s) are causing the pain. It isn't from how you sit or play the guitar. It's psychological, not structural.

I suggest you keep playing the guitar as you always did. Do it for short periods each day. You will work that into longer play. And be sure to enjoy playing the guitar and don't think it will cause pain.

I also recommend you start the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site. It helps us to discover the emotions that cause our pain.

birdsetfree likes this.
  3. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

thanks walt. I wasn't even thinking about the guitar causing pain until I woke up with it. it was the fear of the neuropathy pain in my fingers and being able to physically hold the thing because I am so weak.

I did the SEP program. I don't think I have much more to discover or dig up from the past in the way of emotions. I have pretty much exhausted that area over the past 20 years.

4. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Question? Do all guitar players that have back aches from playing (that seems common on the internet) have emotional problems?

5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

6. jayMck

jayMck New Member

Like you, I have all kinds of TMS manifestations, from back pain, to IBS and even tinnitus.

But guitar tends to be the one thing that works like a drug and takes away the pain. Although one of my back pain triggers is prolonged standing and sometimes a 2 hour practice with the band will cause back pain.

But 2-3 hour gigs don't. I guess the excitement and distraction help!

Jay