1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Looking for community

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by allthehealingplease, Jan 1, 2023.

1. allthehealingplease

allthehealingplease New Member

Hi! I am new here to the forums, but about a year ago I discovered Dr. Sarno’s work, and it literally changed my life.

I have seen more improvements in the last year in my health than I have in the last 7 or 8 years of trying an absurd amount of the usual western medicine and holistic medicine treatments.

Unfortunately, I am recovering from (depending on how you look at it) 20+ years of TMS symptoms. Fibromyalgia/CFS, and insomnia to name a few, and a very long list of other “symptom imperative” sensations.

I am looking for community. Preferably locally, and in-person if possible. And if not-locally- then on zoom with other safe like-minded TMS-understanding folks. Does anyone know of any Los Angeles or California based support groups for TMS? Would love to find a group where we can help support each other in our healing journey.

The healing process is taking longer than I would have hoped or anticipated for a variety of reasons, and am finding myself longing for more community with others who understand what I’m going through.

Otherwise- I was thinking of joining the Curable Groups at this next go round, or Sarah Jackson’s online group coaching, but I thought it would also be wise to check this forum. (Especially since it was such a great comfort and resource to me when I first found it a year ago.)

Also, please forgive me if I am asking a question that is already answered somewhere here on the forum. I spent alot of time on this forum in early 2022, but I wasn’t looking for the same things at the time, and upon looking at the support options listed recently, I can’t tell if they’re still ongoing or if they stopped several years ago.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you :)

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

In Los Angeles you can find 1-1 support at the Pain Psychology Center: https://www.painpsychologycenter.com/ (Pain Psychology Center)
    a few TMS coaches like Dan Buglio, Curable, Dr.Schubiner run short term groups that combine education with fellowship… I joined one for a while that focused on the Presence Process…
    But in my reading of tms books, most suggest not to join the myriad of Facebook groups etc so that you avoid catagorizing yourself as a “tms person” - another diagnoses, or category to identify with instead. It can keep your brain locked in this cycle. Dr. Sarno suggests we just go about a normal life with a self awareness of what causes symptoms. Dr. Hanscom suggests we discuss tms with nobody at all except a coach or therapist.
    This sight IS a support site for encouragement and to ask questions. There is a weekly Saturday live chat (in text, not in video) that I’ve found helpful. perhaps, instead of a tms meetup you might try looking for meetups surrounding your personal interests? My community hosts weekly men’s and women’s groups. We have a history club, there’s a group that arranged flowers and delivers to the home bound. Our library hosts a choir, cooking classes exploring various diets or cultures. There are yoga, surfing, religious, addiction, book club, coffee, wine, garden, boot camp, knitting, bicycling, running, and philanthropy meetups. We also have a lot of volunteering meet ups.
    I have to say, the few I’ve gone to, people sense I don’t move well and are supportive without discussing anything I’m personally going through. I too have realized others are sometimes bearing a heavy load and try to offer them compassion while we take our minds off the problems and focus on the good stuff of life.

Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with everything that @Cactusflower said when it comes to informal support, but if you choose the professional route, also check out Nicole Sachs, LCSW, who runs a private support group for those who do her program. Her website is here: The Cure for Chronic Pain and you can find out more about her work via her podcast. Her early ones will introduce you to the basis for her work (well worth your time), while her latest ones will tell you about all of the support options she has introduced since she left her private therapy practice (in 2018, I think?) to work publicly. She's also a member of the PPDA - the Psychophysiologic Disorders Association (www.ppdassocation.org) along with Drs. Schubiner, Hanscom, Clarke, Schecter, and many more.

4. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

I'm a member of Dan Buglio's group. It's pretty cost effective, $100/month. For that there is a 3 hour group Zoom call every Wednesday (actually 2 calls, to accomodate different time zones), and a dedicated Facebook page. He is incredibly giving with his time, in the group call and generally (He also posts a YT video every day, and has for 3 straight years, and answers almost every question and comment on there. All of that is free, you don't have to pay anything). Even though he had some personal emergencies in his life recently he never missed a single Wednesday.

I try to not talk to anybody in my life about TMS except my wife, but sometimes you just want to know there are other people like you out there in the world, who understand what you are going through. His group is extremely positive and encouraging, a lot of uplifting stuff. The Facebook page is very active, much more active than this site, people might post their little "wins" for the day, or inspirational thoughts, or encouragements, etc. And Dan is a very calming presence.

5. allthehealingplease

allthehealingplease New Member

Thanks guys. I will check these support groups out.

Yeah, I’ve been working with several different kinds of practitioners this past year trying to figure out what I need to heal. (ISTDP, PRT, CBT, Somatic Experiencing, EMDR, IFS, and other stuff as well). I don’t need more therapists at the moment. I do need more community with other people who understand what I’m going through.

I have - lets just say- 60 TMS symptoms. (I haven’t actually counted, but this is a good guesstimate.). Some of them have improved 100% in the past year (thank you Alan Gordon), others have gotten 5-10% better, others fluctuate all over the place. (Which, yes, I understand is more evidence that it’s TMS.)

I don’t need another book, or another therapist. (I’ve read an obscene amount of books on TMS and healing from trauma.). However, more support from people who get what I’m going through would be phenomenal.

Because there’s alot of trauma in my background, I am finding that bottom-up approaches to healing trauma like EMDR, Somatic Experiencing, and working on IFS (internal family systems) are much more helpful overall to healing the more systemic issues since they address the bigger picture overall- the nervous system needing to reset. Although everything I've worked with and tried this year has been helpful to different dynamics of my healing journey for sure, and I like I said earlier- some completely eradicating symptoms.

Thanks for your time and perspective.