1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Long Covid

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Andy Bayliss, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Everyone,

I've been following the Long-Covid story pretty closely, including new findings, and medical treatments. I wanted to make a post of my thoughts on Long Covid, how it relates to TMS. None of what I write is certain, just some ideas.

The work you see below may also apply to long-term vaccine symptoms. I think anyone who suffers from long-term symptoms from either Covid, or post vaccine issues (longer term) should do what they can to "eliminate the physical" just as we would for pain or other ailments.

For Long-Covid this is not so simple, partly because so little is known about how it occurs, and also because --like so many TMS treatable symptoms, there could be huge overlap between what is physically caused and what is not.

We know that after any physical trauma, including disease, there can be mind-body continuation because of neural pathways, stress, or the "need" to distract. We also know that many of the ailments of Long Covid such as brain fog, headache, fatigue, pain, racing heart, etc. have been quite successfully treated with a TMS approach. We also know that a TMS mind-body approach will often decrease symptoms, even if caused physically.

We also know that blood tests are used to eliminate systemic causes of ailments. The mystery of Long Covid has been its cause, and therefore it has not been easy to test for markers. The work of Dr. Patterson has done linked below, may be a breakthrough in this area.

Here are recent Long Covid, mainstream medical approaches. These do not (as far as I know) acknowledge Long Covid as a mind-body problem. I mention this because if I had long term symptoms I would try to treat allopathically (mainstream medical model), and then work with remaining symptoms as mind-body, or perhaps use both --fraught as this is, trying to ride two horses across a stream.

The "problem" with the view of most doctors, and I assume this is true for these folks, is that the body is viewed simply a chemical/mechanical entity which can be fixed, if they only know the right keys. We at this forum know this view is inherently limiting. So here are the two strands I am aware of which are leading edge in medical treatment.

The FLCCC has come out with a treatment suggestions, based on conversations with numerous physicians who have treated many. Here it is. Keep in mind that this is a working doc, like all of theirs, so changes will come, and they update them on this link.

https://covid19criticalcare.com/covid-19-protocols/i-recover-protocol/ (I-RECOVER Protocol | FLCCC | Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance)

One of the members of the physicians who put this together is a Dr. Patterson. It is my rough understanding that he has found the "cause" of Long Covid. This paper came out I think just last week.

Persistence of SARS CoV-2 S1 Protein in CD16+ Monocytes in Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) Up to 15 Months Post-Infection
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.25.449905v1 (Persistence of SARS CoV-2 S1 Protein in CD16+ Monocytes in Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) Up to 15 Months Post-Infection)

I am not sure if Patterson's work got completely included in I-Recover protocol linked above.

His outfit, with his crew of 100 physicians around the world, is here.

https://covidlonghaulers.com/ (Covid Long Haulers)

Here is Dr. Patterson interview, with Dr. Mobeen Syed (another contributor to the FLCCC protocol) as he discusses his findings.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1ynJOBBgQdzGR (Mobeen Syed MD @drbeen)

Sincerely,

Andy

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    BloodMoon, Ellen, Lizzy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cog

Cog Peer Supporter

Interesting Andy. Thanks for posting.

The symptoms noted on their website really do look a lot like TMS to me. Of course we may never know for sure

"Coughing and shortness of breath, debilitating fatigue, malaise and lethargy, cardiac dysrhythmias, insomnia, joint pain, headaches, brain fog, memory and concentration problems, neuropathic pain, GI discomfort including diarrhea, loss of appetite and weight loss."

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Dear Cog,
    You make a great observation. The mind is very, very powerful, so I don't want to discount TMS work in Long Covid!

Cog likes this.
  4. Cog

Cog Peer Supporter

Saw this today. Interesting...

5. jokeysmurf

jokeysmurf Well known member

This is interesting. I got Covid back in Feb - I had really bad brain fog for a while. After 3 months it seemed to have lifted. However I wonder or think that my brain/nervous system learned this. I am now getting brain fog on an off. I can't quite seem to grasp how to overcome the brain fog. It's hard to journal when you brain is foggy and it's super hard to even think. It's weird that I can do things and not feel like I have a single thought in my mind.It's a kind of a numb feeling that feels pretty scary like I can't tell if I am in my own body or just staring off into space.

Suggestions welcome. I am currently trying to do more journaling since my last post and of course it's hard to do while having brain fog. The only success I am having is being able to let it be there and try try and engage with things as best as I can without trying to force myself to have the clarity.

Also I will have some on and off elevated heart rate. It feels really fishy - like TMS because when I am totally not paying attention to it I dont notice whether my heart rate feels elevated. On other occassions I feel it very strong.

6. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

@jokeysmurf

Have you seen this video from Nicole Sachs? If not, perhaps it can enlighten you on your healing journey. She focuses on fear, which is at root of most TMS symptoms, and as to long covid is no different.

Covid Long Haul is TMS - YouTube

Dorado likes this.
  7. jokeysmurf

Yes I just watched it. It was very good. I really think it's TMS for me and not long covid but I think my Brain learned some of the symptoms initially caused by covid. They do come and go which tells me it's TMS. Anyway I am proceeding to treating it like TMS . Thanks for replying

Enrique likes this.
  8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Brand new article from Scientific American (it was in my list of recommended reads today from Pocket).

Reading this, my belief in the interconnectedness of mindbody conditions which start with a "real" physiological condition is only strengthened.

It's also worth noting that the article brings up some key aspects:
    - post-viral "long" conditions were well known before COVID.
    - trauma, stress and PTSD are mentioned throughout, and mental health interventions are recommended in conjunction with medical ones by the cutting-edge professionals interviewed
    - inflammation seems to be key in all aspects of COVID and long COVID (I bring this up because we know that stress and inflammation go hand in hand).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/long-covid-now-looks-like-a-neurological-disease-helping-doctors-to-focus-treatments/ (Long COVID Now Looks like a Neurological Disease, Helping Doctors to Focus Treatments)

jokeysmurf likes this.
  9. jokeysmurf

So what can be done about inflammation? I mean TMS is caused by the nervous system producing "harmless" symptoms and exacerbated by fear centers in the Brain.

What do people do about inflammation? It seems to me that it's possible for our brain to learn these initial symptoms which are caused by inflammation but i don't know enough about that to say for sure.

What do you think?

10. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

You can try eating anti-inflammatory foods and lots of other methods, but stress management is really your secret weapon when the mind-body connection is at play.

How are you managing your stress these days?

JanAtheCPA and jokeysmurf like this.
  11. jokeysmurf

I'm doing all this sor far. I do lots of meditation, exercise, therapy when needed and just started doing Journaling which I find is helping me more than not.

I've been doing a lot better than before for sure but I did get covid last year and had bad brain fog for 3 months. I'm a lot sharper now than even 5 months ago but my symptoms would come and go so I suspected it was TMS.

12. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

As Dorado says:
    Stress Reduction
    Stress Reduction
    Stress Reduction

Stress is known to cause inflammation. There's a ton of authoritative literature on this, starting with the physiology involved in the fight or flight response.

It's a system that works fine if we are in immediate danger, but it works for shit when it turns into this constant level of stress that we're living with in the modern world, especially the last decade.

jokeysmurf likes this.
  13. jokeysmurf

Totally. I agree, my apologies for being so dense. When I asked what should you do about inflammation I immediately said to myself "duh stress reduction ."

I think the fear of covid, the uncertainty of it really put a lot of mental stress on me while experiencing it. There was a lot of preoccupation and fear throughout the duration. It doesn't help to know that people out there were dying of it or being rushed to the hospital for it. I've known a few people who died from it. So needless to say I was entering this from a stressed standpoint.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  14. learningmore

learningmore Peer Supporter

janicehadlock.com has on the website, a video and book teaching you how to do qigong to heal long covid, and the video shows her doing it on other people.

jokeysmurf likes this.