1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk exercise!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mad, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Mad

Mad Peer Supporter

I've never really been a fitness nut. The only weight problem I've had is losing it too easily, as I have a ridiculously high metabolism. For a long time I was physically very strong- I worked in a factory as a maintenance mechanic, welder and electrician. I left that field over a year ago, and have lost much of my muscle mass. Of course for the last 8 months I've limited my physical activity greatly, for fear of increasing my pain.
    Now I'm starting with the basics, stretching and light Pilates daily. I only made it through about 15 minutes of it yesterday...how pitiful, lol! BUT- I don't have a single sore muscle this morning! That's huge to me. Soon I want to get in the gym for weight training.
    Can I hear your exercise success stories? :)

2. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

Good morning,

Doctor Sarno does not prescribe exercise for pain because the pain is harmless and caused by psychologic phenomena, therefore unnecessary to end pain and counter productive in the sense people may believe the exercise is what reduces pain.

Strictly from viewpoint of fitness, exercise is excellent for the body.

3. Mad

Mad Peer Supporter

Maybe I should have clarified... success stories regarding losing fear of exercise. I went from very strong/active to being afraid of even doing housework, for fear of increasing my pain. I believe that it was that mentality that made my condition worse, like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

riv44 likes this.
  4. Ines

Ines Well known member

I hope this isn't too long but I have one for you. This is pre-TMS knowledge.
    I was a very active child and involved in dance until age 18. I really loved it but gave it up.
    Fast forward 18 years. I had 2 children and for the next 5 + years dealt with headaches and migraines every day.

Last fall somebody gave me the T25 exercise videos. I was really out of shape but something told me to try it. It's only 25 minutes. I had a lot of problems with exercise and my migraines though. Any time I would sweat I would get a headache that night. Or, if I was in the sun too long. Anyway, exercise was really hard for me. But... something kept telling me to do T25.
    It was extremely hard at first. I would last a few minutes and then just walk in place or do what I could. I did get headaches at first but I was really stubborn about it. I kept at it an eventually I worked my way through 45 workouts ( I kept track). Sometimes I did 2 in a row. After the first few weeks my headaches actually improved.
    At Christmas I got a really bad stomach flu with vertigo and had the worst migraine episodes of my life in the next few months. I ended up on disability and found Dr. Sarno's books.
    Having that experience with the T25 videos was a huge part of my Evidence Sheet during SEP. It showed me that my migraines weren't caused by exercise and that once I got into a groove exercise actually helped. Also, that I told my brain that we were doing this and it listened.

Post TMS knowledge. I'm back at working out regularly. I signed up for dance classes and already filled out a whole card (11 classes). I do work out videos at home, go to the gym on my lunch break, run (NEVER did that before), hike.. anything I like. Sometimes I have low energy and take a week off but I've been bouncing back much quicker. I don't worry about sweating or getting dizzy. I just do what I can and tell my brain to knock it off when it starts with the headaches. It won't take exercise and dance away from my life ever again.

Mad likes this.
  5. Mad

Mad Peer Supporter

I want so badly to take dance classes!! It's good to hear more about reconditioning the brain regarding perceived cause and effect.

Ines likes this.