1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Landry comments on Lesson #26

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by richard landry, May 13, 2012.

1. richard landry

richard landry New Member

I identified greatly with Relapser's curse - there is hope, by Skizzik found in Lesson #26, especially the following statements.

1. I don't see how to get out of the calendar phenomenon. I have the pain constantly w/ no break. I've experienced unrelenting pain (it's no fun). I know the demoralizing effects & anxiety provoking effects of constant pain.

2. And when I would find it, I was obsessed with how I'd publish it for the world to see, and hope to inspire others with what I did. ... was I trying to be a hero? Was I that desperate for approval? I had put my recovery, and eventual story of it on a pedestal, I built an altar to it. I was reassured to learn that someone else besides me dreams of being a hero & garnering all of the adulation & praise heaped upon heroes. Such dependency on the approval of others is extremely destabilizing.

I read the blog "Understanding and Overcoming Fear" by Dr Schubiner, and found so much helpful information in that article; I made a copy of the article for frequent future reviews.

I believe Lesson #26 was especially powerful. THANKS!

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hiya Richard,

I am glad that you found Skizzik's article helpful. I think a lot of the things he went through, a lot of other people go through. It can be really easy to try to recover as fast as possible and do it an a miraculous fashion. But with TMS, the harder you try, the longer it takes. The reason why is because we begin to use our recovery as the distraction, instead of simply going about our lives in a positive manner. When our focus is on our recovery it is really easy for fear and doubt to creep in.

Forest

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

BTW - If anyone is interested in reading the Dr. Schubiner blog post that Richard mentioned check out the thread Understanding and Overcoming Fear. It really is a terrific article.

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I enjoyed Dr. Shubiner's article too. I'm in the midst of standardized testing at school--the most stressful week of the year. The kids are stressed, the teachers are stressed--we can lose our teaching licenses if we don't follow proper testing protocols!--and administrators are monitoring what we're doing. I'm trying to take care of myself by exercising, eating properly etc but my headaches are back in force. Help!