1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Knee Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Chad100, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Chad100

Chad100 New Member

Hello all! I am a long-time suffer from TMS and follower of this page, but a first time poster. I recently developed a case of knee pain while on the elliptical machine which has really “gotten my attention”. I think it is pretty classically runners knee but I know the symptoms aren’t important, and I’m pretty confident there aren’t any structural issues, but I haven’t been to a doctor for it. I guess what is getting into my head about it is the sense here that it is more 50/50 whether knee pain is real or TMS. Am I misreading that, and if not, how do you know whether to treat it as TMS or not? Basically I’m trying to figure out whether to rest it or not, and to see if others have “run” into this issue too. Thanks everyone! Chad

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Chad, and welcome!

This is a great start towards accepting the TMS motto: think psychologically, not physically.

However, please remember that we are not medical or health professionals here - we are just fellow TMS-sufferers. So we can't diagnose your condition, and we do recommend that you be checked out in order to rule out any pathological conditions that need immediate attention.

That being said, there are a lot of knife-happy surgeons out there, so watch out for that - but that's what second opinions are for.

Most people here have received vague diagnoses, and recommendations for the usual non-invasive and/or self-care: PT, massage, chiro, exercises, heat, ice, etc. THAT's when you can make the decision to treat your symptoms as TMS, and proceed accordingly.

I am totally self-diagnosed, but I had been seen by many different types of practitioners over a period of years, none of whom could "fix" me. When I read The Divided Mind (Dr. Sarno) I accepted the TMS diagnosis immediately, and never looked back.

If you truly feel that you are not at risk, you can go ahead and start doing our free Structured Educational Program. You've got nothing to lose!

3. Chad100

Chad100 New Member

Jan,

Thanks so much for the support, and I really appreciate your feedback, response and kindness. That approach definitely makes sense. Just wish there were more TMS trained doctors, none on the list even in my state (South Carolina)!

Chad

JanAtheCPA likes this.