1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Knee pain TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Terabusker, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Terabusker

Terabusker Newcomer

I have knee pain that started in the left, moved to the right and now is in both knees.
    My PT, chiro and ortho doc all seem stumped by the pain as my issues don't explain the lingering pain.
    I am trying to get my brain to accept that I have TMS (symptoms get worse with emotions and stress) but the fear is overwhelming. Any suggestions to getting my fear to settle down

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi:
    Knee pain is a common tms symptom.
    I suggest you read a book by Dr. Sarno who explains tms, and why it is benign. He mainly talks about back pain, but you can just sub in “knee pain” - all tms pain is equal.
    Alan Gordon’s book “The Way Out” is very helpful to conquer fears. Alan Gordon also offers a free program on this website where you can watch videos or hear audios and do some reading. https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/ (Pain Recovery Program)
    Reading success stories is also helpful!
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/search/2680145/?q=Knee+success&o=date (Search Results for Query: Knee success | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome))

Good luck!

RobOptimist likes this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I suggest reading Success Stories and TMS books, listening to TMS podcasts, and then deciding on a TMS program to follow and working it one day at a time all the way through.

There is hope. We are all here to help so feel free to ask questions along the way.

4. Terabusker

Terabusker Newcomer

Thank you for the suggestions. I've read all the books and did the private curable program. I just still get stuck in the pain and the fear that my pain is "something more serious"

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Okay, then, I'll give it a try by recommending the latest podcast episode from Nicole Sachs which I just heard today. It's a repeat of an episode from last summer, about the symptom imperative and doubt, and I believe it's very relevant to your state of mind. She says that she's rerunning the episode because so many people in her groups are reporting struggles with relapses and doubt. It's a really good one, which I recommend for everyone.

The Cure for Chronic Pain podcast, S3 E27, available on all the platforms. Let us know what you think.

RobOptimist likes this.
  6. Terabusker

Terabusker Newcomer

Thank you! I will listen to this asap

7. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle