1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Just started the program

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Sashula, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Sashula

Sashula New Member

Introduction

Let me introduce myself, I am 39 years old female and I was considering myself healthy and happy woman until one day I woke up with a strange feeling in my back. It felt like vibration in the upper back and I contributed it to flu… I was trying to take it easy, sleep well… nothing helps.

Since that day, I started developing new symptoms, heavy pressure in the shoulders, tightness and pinching sensation in neck, muscle spasm under shoulder blade, twitched muscles in the chest, tingling all over the back, and heart palpitation.

I was so scary and frustrated, because I never had any health problem before, and to my surprise I did not response to any treatments. I`ve tried chiropractor, acupuncture, all kind of massages, manual therapy, daily stretching, supplements… It’s been eight months and it does not get better. The locations of the symptoms change every day (neck, shoulders, upper or lower back).

Finally, I did X-ray which revealed slight disk degeneration (T3) and mild scoliosis in the lower back. But I was not convinced that these structural abnormalities may cause this problem. I was continue to looking for the solution and stumble to Dr. Sarno book “Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection”.

I have not started read the book right away, It’s been on the shelf for a months. But once I open first page, everything become so clear to me why I have all these symptoms. I am definitely a perfectionist and put lots of pressure on myself… Also, I am a person why does not like to show an emotions, I keep everything to myself…
    I guess, It is a good time to start journaling, and I hope it will help me to recognize repressed emotions.

What would a life without TMS mean to you?

It would be such a big relief! I will be myself again. I would stay up late drawing, painting, or doing interesting projects on the computer.

I would wake up every morning happy, smiling. I would travel by car long distance without fears that my back will hurt. I will sit and watch TV in any positions I want. I will focus on my life, but not on my back...

hecate105 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome Sashula!

I am happy you found Dr. Sarno's work, and the SEP program. Also, you can check out Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program at the Wiki, which you might want to do soon as well as the SEP. It teaches attitudes and skills which will serve you, as well as gives you some great audio recordings exploring common psycho-dynamics, and how these inner pressures relate to TMS.

I have had wonderful success with Dr. Sarno's approach, avoiding surgery. So have thousands of others. Good luck in your journey!

Andy B

hecate105 likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

It was nice to see you on the Chat today, Sashula - you are embracing everything this site has to offer, and I wish you all the best in your journey!

4. Sashula

Sashula New Member

Thank you

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sashula. I too welcome you to the TMS healing community. I healed from severe back pain after reading Dr. Sarno. I didn'[t realizing how much anger I was repressing since my boyhood, and I am 86 now! I found that journaling in the SEProgram to be the most helpful. Good luck as you go through the program. Let us all know how you're doing.