1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Joint Hypermobility/Ehlers Danlos

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by PaperCrane, Jan 13, 2022.

1. PaperCrane

PaperCrane Peer Supporter

Hi Guys. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I successfully used Dr. Sarno's approach to heal from chronic pain following injuries from a car accident and some other odds and ends over the years. I'm sort of a poster child for a TMS in many ways, in terms of my personality and life experiences.

Last year, I started having worsening joint pain and swelling that increased to where it became debilitating. Oddly, my joints would feel very lax, like they were slipping out of place. I have been frequently injuring myself, due to how loose they are. It was eventually diagnosed as joint hypermobility syndrome and may be Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (HEDS), although I would need to see a geneticist for confirmation of the HEDS diagnosis. It's believed to be genetic and related to the body not producing collagen properly, which leads to the ligaments that are supposed to support joints being too loose. I suspect my mother, with whom I have a very troubled relationship, has the same thing and it may run in my family.

That said, it's something I've apparently had my entire life and the sudden worsening of symptoms and pain showed up during a very stressful period. People with this condition are very prone to autonomic dysfunction and anxiety. And, there is something called "Asymptomatic Joint Hypermobility," where people have hypermobile joints and may be prone to injuries, but do not have ongoing pain. Given this and my own person history, part of me suspects TMS.

But, I haven't seen anything about the diagnosis in any TMS books I have or online. And, since it's typically hereditary and I keep having regular acute injuries (hyperextensions, subluxations) as opposed to ongoing pain from an old injury, I really am not sure if it could be TMS or not.

I'd like to see a TMS-informed doctor for some guidance, but the only one in my area I could find is not accepting patients. Do you know of any who do a telehealth consults, particularly ones with a background in orthopedics or sports medicine?

Also, could you point me in the direction of any success stories from people with this condition? When I did a search of the site, I saw some folks who posted questions about it, but no one who posted about treating it as TMS successfully.

Thanks for your help and insight.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  2. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I have a friend who has been diagnosed with HEDS. He knows and applies some of the principles of TMS work. He finds that reducing stress, correlating stress and self-pressure with symptoms, and not focussing on the pain itself has helped remarkably. He has had less pain and more activity in the last couple of years. I hope this little report helps. It confirms that even if there is something "physical" causing pain, these techniques can go a long way to helping.

Cactusflower likes this.
  4. PaperCrane

PaperCrane Peer Supporter

Thank-you both. I appreciate it.