1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

John Strack's Journaling Support Group or TMS Therapy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by expressions, Aug 20, 2018.

1. expressions

expressions New Member

Hi:

Has anyone done Dr. John Strack's 9-week online journaling/live lecture program? It's pricey ($900), but I've heard that he's one of the best TMS doctors in the country, and I'm happy to spend the money if the program is excellent.

However, I'm wondering how it compares in efficacy to a couple of months worth of Skype sessions with a TMS therapist, like from Alan Gordon's Pain Psychology Center. I don't know how the two approaches might be helpful in different ways.

I'd be eager to hear from people who have experience with either program.

Thanks!

2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi expressions,

Welcome to the forum :).

Perhaps, as it's much much cheaper, consider signing up for the curable app first, instead of or before forking out $900 for the Stracks program https://www.curablehealth.com; the app has a writing/journaling section and, as Dr Stracks is a 'scientific adviser' to the curable team, I think that it's likely that he will have had at least some input into producing the writing exercises. It's just a thought that it might be a good way of dipping your toe into the water and seeing what you think. (I've just started using the curable app and am finding it good, but only time will tell whether my brain/mind will respond to it all and my TMS will diminish or disappear.) Here's a page on the curable website regarding Dr Stracks https://www.curablehealth.com/podcast/medical-mystery-to-md-how-dr-john-stracks-was-saved-by-sarno (From Medical Mystery to MD: How Dr. John Stracks Was Saved By Sarno).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    freedomseeker likes this.
  3. expressions

expressions New Member

Thanks so much for the brilliant recommendation.

I discovered Curable last week, actually, and have found it to be tremendously beneficial. I've actually wondered, myself, if it might be as good as Dr. Strack's program. Great minds... ;)

Good luck with your journey with Curable!

freedomseeker and BloodMoon like this.
  4. BloodMoon

I'm glad you like the idea :)

I think if the Curable app - along with all the other mind/body things I'm doing, like yoga nidra and qigong - don't work for me then I'll probably opt for some one-to-one help from a TMS therapist. (Your post has helped me actually - I didn't know that Alan Gordon's organisation do Skype sessions...which is something I'd consider if it turns out that I can't do it on my own with the help of the Curable app.)

Good luck with your Curable journey too, expressions.

5. freedomseeker

freedomseeker Peer Supporter

I've also recently come across the curable app and have been finding it helpful. Good luck with your journey :)

BloodMoon likes this.
  6. BloodMoon

Thanks, freedomseeker :). I hope you're successful with it too and all three of us will be 'meeting up' again soon - on the 'Success Stories Subforum'!:).

freedomseeker likes this.