1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Joe Dispenza - you are the Placebo book, am I going mad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by thecomputer, Dec 7, 2016.

1. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

Hi everyone

I am new to tms, but became interested as I've had a 6 month voice/throat problem which I cannot heal. Ive been very desperate during this time and tried so many things and spent so much money.

I am sceptical by nature. When very desperate I read Joe Dispenzas book You are the Placebo. It read like a classic American miracle cure book. Lots of over the top stories with no proof, next to no science!

I felt suspicious reading it, especially reading he has shattered his spine and was told he would never walk again, and he managed to heal it by sitting and visualising it for weeks. Of course he would have had x rays, and would still be able to get them. There is no proof of that in the book.

So I went online and dug a little deeper, and found he was part of the Ramtha school of enlightenment, which is run by a woman who channels an ancient warrior. Her name is JZ knight. If you watch any video of her, you can tell instantly she is inauthentic, possibly crazy! It's a cult. She obviously makes insane amounts of money, which it seems she spends a lot of plastic surgery. It just doesn't feel right to me. And she funded the film 'what the bleep do we know', which Joe Dispenza features heavily in.

I just find it m very suspicious. Joe Dispenza was a chiropractor, and when asked about his neuroscience training he mentions having been on some courses. Doesn't sound very legitimate. The 'science' in his book is apparently completely at odds with how quantum physics works and essentially made up! He runs workshops for huge amounts of money all over the world. of course he may be helping people with the Placebo effect, who knows.

My concern is not about him, as I'm sure he is new age fraud of sorts.

My worry is now that I'm getting into something similar with TMS! Because there are various posts on this forum praising his book and saying it's a must read for people who have read sarnos books. From what I have read and seen of Sarno,which seems to be very humble, pragmatic and down to earth, I imagine he would not want to be assocoated with Joe Dispenza or Ramtha and co.

It's holding me back right now from commuting to doing the program or tms.
    Does anyone have thoughts on this?

2. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

I've read plenty of posts on here with people de-bunking him. I think Forest has been pretty critical of both his philosophy and business practices.

Regardless of whatever theory there will always be people who put forward claims that are fanciable and often fantastic and these can be done with good intent or can be done with the aim of lining their pockets...people in chronic pain etc are often vulnerable and desperate for a cure so will often jump at anything. If I'm honest I can see many people jumping onto the TMS and stress illness band wagon in the upcoming years to make a fast buck.

I wouldn't let that fact that Dispenza's views are occasionally linked with TMS concern you. Regardless of if you accept Sarno's Freudian take on somatisation the actual evidence that the mind can generate physical symptoms is well documented and accepted.

3. pspa

pspa Well known member

My rule of thumb -- any purported healer who talks about quantum physics is full of it. Big red flag. Do not pass go.

And why is it that these charlatans are so often chiropractors. Stick to what you know, which is nothing, or being generous, basic PT.

4. pspa

pspa Well known member

Oh good lord, this from his website.

He and his team do brain mapping with electroencephalograms (EEGs) and individual energy field testing with a gas discharge visualization (GDV) machine, as well as measure both heart coherence with HeartMath monitors and the energy present in the workshop environment before, during, and after events with a GDVSputnik sensor. Soon, he plans to include epigenetic testing in this research, as well.

5. thecomputer

Thanks guys, I basically paniced as I found tms recently and in many ways it could explain my physical problem. Then when I found people on this forum singing his praises I wondered if it was all part of the same madness! I had read Joe Dispenza s book and nearly fallen for it.

It seems tms is legitimate, and this guy is a bit if a charlatan

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

One of the first recommendations in the SEP (our free online Structured Educational Program) is to watch the well-known 20/20 (ABC) episode about Dr. Sarno. There's also a Forbes article about him. You can find both of these resources by Googling. They may help convince you that Dr. Sarno, MD, retired from the Rusk Institute at the NYU School of Medicine, is the real deal. And a life-saver for so many of us here.

8. thecomputer

Thanks, yeah I'm convinced now, maybe not hour my problem being tms, but about Mr sarnos authenticity, and Joe Dispenza dodginess!