1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I've taken a few steps back and need some support please.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JenV, Jul 18, 2015.

1. JenV

JenV New Member

Hi everyone,
    I finished the SEP about a week ago and had completely healed my neck and back pain. For someone who was in chiropractic monthly and on pain meds for 6 years, this was nothing short of a miracle! My foot pain was also diminishing and I was on cloud 9. Then we went on vacation to see family. My husband's brother and his wife had just had twins. She had had a c-section and had to have emergency surgery on the incision while we were there. My husband's brother had just developed back pain and was talking about it constantly. I suggested he read HBP, but after buying it, he just thumbed through it looking for the "exercises" that might help his bulging disk. My back pain returned briefly, but I was able to make it go away. I also developed a red rash all over my face. I know I wAs very stressed. We took my daughter to Six Flags and my husband talked me into riding the Superman. I don't know WHAT I was thinking?!?? I thought I could handle it. I completely froze up and my heAd got jostled around pretty good. My neck has not been the same since we got back three days ago. I'm sleeping fine... And it doesn't get painful until I really start worrying about it and giving it attention... But something feels "off" I can't ignore this feeling that something isn't right... I remember my x-ray showing that I had lost the natural curve in my neck. I KNOW on some level I am TMSing...but how can I stop?!?!?

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jen,

The thing about a TMS relapse is that we are always convinced initially that this pain/symptom is different somehow and so it can't possibly be TMS. I have been there many times. I feel the best way to treat a relapse is first, think psychologically about what triggered it. You've already done that and have a good idea what triggered your symptoms. Then, do nothing. Just let it go and focus elsewhere. I know this is hard for us TMSers to do. But in my experience the symptom will leave as soon as you aren't reacting to it anymore. You will be absorbed in something else, and then you just notice, hey it's gone.

Anne Walker, JenV and Lizzy like this.
  3. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Jen,
    I am so sorry to hear of your setback! However, I am thrilled you have healed from pain in the past, that is great! That evidence of your own experience is huge! Write yourself a success story to read repeatedly if you haven't posted one here before; read your story, it is the truth about your pain.

Your post is full of TMS knowledge and self awareness. I think you have the info already, but you need help to focus. You traveled, had stress while there, probably trigger response from the brother-in-law, and then the superman ride. The ride probably has nothing to do with your pain, your neck is strong and healthy, but your sub-c doesn't want you to remember that. It has given itself away by increasing the pain when you focus on it. I would guess the something that feels off is the success of your TMSing brain. The arguement between what I know about what is going on and the the little voice asking , what if its physical? can make me really wound up. Thats me TMSing. Thats me thinking physical, and we need to think psychological.

So, you ask how to stop. What worked for you before? Journaling? doing Alan Gordon's segments of SEP, listening to Claire Weekes, reading success stories? Repeat, rest your mind, repeat. Try new things, but try not to pressure yourself. You can do this!

Ellen, Anne Walker and JenV like this.
  4. JenV

JenV New Member

Thank you so much @Lizzy and @Ellen. I am going to follow your advice. I have a lot of anger towards my husband for talking me into something I know I didn't want to do. Also at myself for giving in and going against my own judgement. I hate roller coasters!

Lizzy likes this.
  5. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jen, Lizzy and Ellen have given you excellent advice. I just want you to know that from all of my experience working on my own TMS, I am very confident that you are okay and that this is just a temporary relapse. Try to focus on the incredible success you have had already and trust it will come again shortly. Your family trip does sound very stressful and it is not at all surprising you had a little flare up. The six flags ride was a perfect opportunity to challenge you. I am sure you will be feeling better soon.

JenV likes this.
  6. JenV

JenV New Member

THANK YOU so much @AnneWalker.

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

JenV likes this.