1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Kev74, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

Hello, new to the forum and I would appreciate some feedback. Sorry in advance if this is long, but I want to be as detailed as possible. My biggest issue right now is my right hip\groin area and to a lesser extent my back (around the left rib). So the hip/groin pain started about 4 months ago. It's generally mild discomfort that can occur anywhere from my front hip (feels like near the joint) into the groin area and down into the groin muscle (inner thigh). I only feel it when I'm walking and it's generally mild except on a couple occasions where I was walking a lot. There was no injuries that I am aware of. I had an X-Ray done and there was no structural problems. I do notice that the groin muscle feels extremely hard. A couple weeks later the hot spot in my back appeared, again I only feel it if I move a certain way. Both issues tend to ebb and flow. In general my whole body feels achy and weird at times (hard to explain). I've also had muscle twitching for the last two years. Otherwise no other symptoms.

I have been to the doctors several times, had the following blood tests done:CBC, Vitamin D, Thyroid, Comp Metabolic Panel, CRP (inflammation), Antibody screen (Autoimmune), Sedimentation Rate, Lipid Panel). All come back normal. I've had several talks with the doctor and I know she thinks it's all in my head, she even recommended therapy for me. A little back story on me. I suffer from general, social, and health anxiety. A panic attack two years ago sent my anxiety out of control, that's when the muscle twitching began. It took time to recover but I was doing alright until my hip area started bothering me then it seemed like everything went down hill again and all the problems started. Yes I am a worrier. So could this be TMS? I'm stumped on what else it could be.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. braden101

braden101 Peer Supporter

Could definitely be a case of TMS.

I have only started learning about TMS in the last few weeks but after reading Dr Sarnos book and with the support of people on this forum, I am embracing it pretty quickly. I can relate to your hip/groin problems and I also suffer from anxiety (Another TMS symptom).

I recommend you get your hands on a copy of Dr Sarnos book "The Mindbody Prescription". If your unsure if you have TMS, I guarantee your mind will be made up after reading that book, if not a few chapters in!

Apart from that, keep lurking these forums, punch your symptoms into the search bar and read some success stories.

Good luck with it all!

Kev74 and Mermaid like this.
  3. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Kev

Welcome to the forum welcomea

I'm sorry to hear you've been having some health and anxiety issues. Given that your doctor has been unable find any obvious cause for your problems, it is highly likely that you are indeed experiencing TMS. Braden is right that you need to get hold of a copy of "The Mindbody Prescription". I'm sure you'll spot yourself on every page, as all of us did.

What I would also advise is that you start the Structured Educational Programme, which you'll find on the home page. Some other reading I would highly recommend is :

"The Great Pain Deception" - Steven Ray Ozanich
    "Self Help for Your Nerves" - Claire Weekes

It is knowledge of TMS that effects the cure. Once you understand the cause, you lose the fear of your symptoms and in time they melt away. It's simple, but not easy, but given enough practice, time and patience you can totally recover.

I was very sick with chronic migraines, fibromyalgia, bladder problems, sight and hearing distortion, anxiety and a whole host of unpleasantness, from which I am now almost recovered. All of us on this site know exactly how you feel, and we're all here to advise and support you. Have a look around the success stories to give yourself a boost.

Congratulations on taking your first step to wellness, I'm with you all the way wavea

Sienna and Kev74 like this.
  4. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

Braden, thanks for your reply. I am reading Dr. Sarnos book right now and I've done quiet amount of reading about stress and how it affects the body. But I admit I haven't always been applying what I've learned so I need to work harder on that.

Hi Mermaid, thanks for the advice. I'm in the process of reading Dr. Saranos right now and I've read one of Claire Weekes books before too. I guess for me is it's been difficult to accept the symptoms are emotional in origin, I wanted to find a pure physical explanation but that has been a wild goose chase. I will definitely check out the TMS wiki. How long did it take you to get to the point where you are now?

One more question, I've read TMS primarily affects the back, shoulders, and neck muscles but is it possible to have it in any part of the body?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  5. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Kev

I too wanted my symptoms to be something other than subconscious emotions, it kind of lets you off the hook doesn't it. You're right, you can do all the reading in the world, but if you don't apply what you have learned you won't see any changes.

We all heal at different rates, it's impossible to gauge how long a person will take you to be pain free, there are an infinite number of individual factors at work. One thing I will say though is that it's extremely unusual to heal rapidly, it takes a time for TMS to emerge, so it makes sense that it takes a while to heal.

I know you want it to be gone NOW, but impatience creates tension which only prolongs healing. As Claire Weekes tells us, we must "let time pass".

In answer to your question I started to have my first symptoms 9 years ago, and I have been healing for 2 years. Don't let that scare you, I had many more symptoms to attend to and my situation was complicated by a very damaging prescribed medication regime my neurologist had me on.

Yes you can have symptoms in any part of the body. You will see as you further your reading, there are also equivalents of TMS pain such as allergies, anxiety, stomach problems etc..

Focus on how great it is that you've found out what the problem is. It's basically harmless and costs nothing to fix, how cool is that !

You will be OK, trust me - lose the fear - lose the pain :happy:

Kev74 likes this.