1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is This Tension - Help!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by RikR, Feb 18, 2013.

1. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Gailnyc,
    I really liked Brady's book. I think it is best not to put pressure on ourselves about the time frame of our healing.
    I do think putting that in our heads would cause more tension. I do find that difficult, also. If you can get passed that, I think his book has
    many good suggestions, especially about visualization and pain talk. I never felt pressure reading his book regarding
    the six weeks. I practiced a lot of his suggestions in the book and they significantly helped.

Another book I liked very much was Fred Amir's book, Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain. This book
    helped me even more than Brady's. I used them both at the same time. I find when I use their suggestions they work.

For me, I have to not feel discouraged when reading the testimonials in these books of people who get healed
    in a week or two. I have to totally let that go. Sometimes, I find that hard. But I do not want to miss out on all the
    great suggestions they have.

I think Brady does a very good job explaining the autonomic nervous system and how that effects the symptoms of TMS.
    Once I really understood this, I felt I was understanding what was going on in my body and now I do not fear the pain.

I just really still read both of these books over and over because they seem to really keep me so encouraged.
    Hope that helps,
    G.R.

2. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Honeybear,
    I do not know a lot about tapping. Do you go to a therapist for that? Isn't that when you tap on different meridians in your body
    to release negative emotions and blockages?
    G.R.

3. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Walt,
    Thanks for the recommendation on the DVD.

Have you tried Faster EFT? Can you explain what that is and how it helped?
    G.R.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Rik how long have you been practicing sarnos method now-how long have you done the reminders-do you believe this is the way your going to heal/ the affirmations-it takes at least a month all day thinking and saying them to help
    im healed for lots of reasons but i still say the affirmations and other things to stay tuned-
    guys we have to know what are we charged too-then uncharge to it
    Rik again buddy-it takes quite some time to heal,but see we have to start with the baby steps first-and the charge you have is worry-( tend to use worry as a defensive avoidance strategy)-am i gonna stay here.no your not-from the worry you have pain-you might think the pain makes you worry but its the other way around
    but only you can believe that.

5. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Walt ~ When I reevaluated my image of God in my early 20s, I refused to acknowledge the punishing, judgmental God of my upbringing. I chose a more loving and forgiving source (creator). I have not had that image for over 25 years now and have pursued spiritual growth away from the Catholic Church. BUT...as I am learning with all of this TMS stuff, most of what we do is ruled by our subconscious minds and that indoctrination of that little girl runs deep. The other day in a tapping session, I heard a voice in my head saying, "God's gonna punish you". It was a woman's voice...and something that I know I heard when I was little, but I can't put my finger on who said it. My mother was not the Roman Catholic in the house, so she didn't go to church with us except on holidays. She called herself "National Catholic". I'm not sure if she said it, or if it was my Grandma or Busi (grandma in Polish). Busi was a devout Catholic who went to church every day of her life until she had a stroke in her 80s. I'm doubting it was her, though, since she had a heavy accent. lol Anyway, the point is, I need to somehow convince my inner child to let go of that destructive belief...through tapping and journaling.

6. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

G.R. ~ I don't go to a therapist for it. It is something I do myself. My TMS therapist reminded me of it during one of our sessions a few weeks ago. I had first heard about it a couple of years ago when I took one of my daughters to a therapist for her anxiety. I tried it a little, but thought it was too weird. Then when I revisited it recently, I researched online and saw the science behind it and how it totally coincides with Dr. Sarno's theories. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing you how to do it. I incorporate TMS talk into my sessions and really do see shifts taking place. Message me if you want and I will be happy to share some links.