1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is Occipital Neuralgia TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Davideus85, Jul 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Davideus85

Davideus85 Peer Supporter

So a couple nights ago I was severely depressed and decided to drink heavily. I don’t drink very often, but when I do, I go all out. I’ve been facing some really big life changing issues lately that have been stressing me out to no end. I just need an escape sometimes.

That night I started having a pounding headache, typical for me after drinking. So I took some rizatriptan to knock it out and go to sleep. So I woke up the next day, and I started having the most excruciating pain on the back right side of my head. It felt like a knife stabbing into my head or an electric shock of some kind. Will last a few seconds than disappear and come back every minute or so without any warning. Nothing particular triggers it. Absolutely the most horrific pain when it happens. These are nothing like the migraines I am use to getting. I tried taking migraine medication and over the counter excedrin, which almost always knocks out my migraines. None of this did a thing to lesson the pain at all. I did some research and my symptoms fit the description of something called Occipital Neuralgia, which is NOT migraines but are common in those who get migraines. My doctor confirmed it is probably occipital neuralgia and that I might have to see the neurologist.

I keep trying to tell myself it is very likely just another TMS symptom but I can’t stop myself from panicking. I keep reading people’s stories online on how this condition is long term and not much can be done about it. Apparently most of occipital neuralgia is due to a pressed or pinched nerve that goes from the neck up the back of the head and usually it occurs when someone has experienced head trauma of some sort. I can’t figure out if this is really TMS or if I did something to my neck in my sleep or if it was triggered by my drinking. I always get horrible hangovers after I drink, particularly headaches, but I’ve not experienced anything like this.

I’ve been suffering from migraines for years, even though I know it’s TMS I’ve never been able to quite get rid of them. Is this just another TMS manifestation?

2. GuyFromGermany

GuyFromGermany New Member

Hi Davideus,

I had similar experiences with the occipital nerves on my left side, but more a constant burning pain which moved between the ear (lesser occipital nerve) and the back of my head (greater occipital nerve). In my case I felt that it was clearly caused by muscular tension of the small deep neck muscles and partly the Digastricus muscle. I also had a lump in my throat feeling from that on my left side.

I think the causal chain for me was like:
    Stress/anger/anxiety —> muscle tension —> nerve pain

I was lucky that the tension and pain was mostly during working hours and disappeared always in the evening. And it disappeared when I went on vacations (however not on weekends), which makes TMS quite probable for me. But also an osteopath specialized in the cervical spine helped me with that. When the occipital neuralgia disappeared after one year, it was unfortunately replaced by other pain syndromes in my case, which makes TMS even more probable for me…

I would recommend an osteopath for short term, and work on stress/anger/anxiety for long term!

3. xeleste

xeleste New Member

Was the burning inside your ears? Have you had a recurrence? I’m kinda dealing with Glossopharyngeal pain and I don’t hear too much about it in the TMS forums. I’m wondering if it is TMS which seems likely to me as I suffer from PTSD that was triggered recently that triggered literal full body burning pain. Any advice would be helpful.

Celeste

4. GuyFromGermany

GuyFromGermany New Member

Hi Celeste,

yes it was inside and outside/behind by ear. And also went towards my face and to an area around the tonsil. I had that for over a year and was so scared that I had to live with this forever…

At that time i studied the anatomy of the neck and found that my aching nerves had similar paths through the area below the scull and went through the deep neck muscles. It also seemed that my ‚swallow-muscles‘ were involved and it is known that these are particularly prone to stress (lump in throat). However i must admit that these studies, despite of explaining some local origin, did not help me to get rid of it probably because they kept my focus on purely physical mechanisms.

Now that it’s gone I find it most probable that something like TMS was going on. And i am happy not to have done any surgery in that area, as some media suggested.

Best Martin

5. xeleste

xeleste New Member

I’m glad it’s gone it really gives me hope!

6. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

a ha! a brilliant link you have created here: tells the WHOLE story