1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is Journaling really necessary? I can't overcome headache and backache pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Abundance72, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Abundance72

Abundance72 Peer Supporter

Hi, i'm new to the TMS Wiki forum. Actually i'm not that new but i'm new in signing up, I used to hang out at the TMS Help forum and occasionally come through to the TMS Wiki site but now i've decided to stick around this one as it has very valuable information and I didn't realise there was also a forum here which is great!

I've recently announced myself on another thread but i'll re-introduce myself here as it seems is the correct place to be posting for now as i'm still stuck.

About 2 years ago I stumbled on the TMS Wiki SEP and commenced it, I remember this is when I found Sarno and I was excited as I felt this is it, this is what I have! TMS. I still believe I have TMS but have not had any luck whatsoever in treating it. Probably because deep down I haven't really accepted it is fully TMS. When my pains get extreme is when I get desperate and start my search for help by visiting doctors, googling (yes I know googling is my enemy) etc. Anyway, I began the TMS SEP and found that I was getting a little depressed and feeling worse so I think it was around Day 10 after journalling I decided to stop as I felt this was not helping me. Now this past week i've decided to get back to it and start again, it probably wasn't a good week to start this as I have come down with a cold/laryngitis and now an eye infection (I get this eye infection at least once a year since I was 6 months old!) I'm feeling down in the dumps this week due to these symptoms and an ongoing headache that i've had for a week. So I began doing the SEP again and found that I'm starting to feel worse again? Actually I shouldn't say worse, maybe I should just say I do NOT feel any better. I thought that getting these thoughts out of my head and on to paper would help me? Why is it not working for me? I had the worst headache the other night and I was crying because I just can't help but feel like what is wrong with me? Why can't I heal? Why does this headache keep going and getting worse? Mind you this is the day that I did alot of journaling so I'm not sure if that could have contributed to the strange head pains I was having. It could even be contributed by my eye infection? (Even though I get these headaches at many other times)

My usual TMS symptoms are all over back pain but usually thoracic and neck pain (I have a C5/6 disc bulge) I also get alot of headaches that are described as head pressure, fullness, sometimes my whole head feels fuzzy, my eyes hurt to move them and this exacerbates the headaches. About 10 years ago I used to get alot of headaches like this for a couple of years, then they finally stopped, now they've been back again for the past 2 years, I believe they've started again due to stress. I have 4 1/2 year old twins and since i've felt the pressures of them growing up that's when my symptoms started. I also used to get chest pains which have diminished now after getting the clear on my heart (thank God) Overall I get so many symptoms that seem to come and go but the ones that stick and remain are chronic headaches and upper back/neck pain and more recently i'm starting to feel anxious at times. Anyway, I'm just asking here is does journaling definitely help overcome TMS even when it makes you feel worse? Do I have to push through the worst to get to the better part? Do I stop? It's so hard to remain confident in the TMS diagnosis when the symptoms don't let up for a minute. I'm just not sure where to go from here? Any advice from headache people would be greatly appreciated as well as anyone else with any advice? I wish we had an Australian TMS doctor but we don't? Thank you so much in advance. wavea

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Hang in there, my beginning of my journaling was just like your having. I started to have extreme anxiety and felt I was getting worse. For me I took this as a time to learn about these symptoms. If you never face your fears or deal with them they will come back, at least for me they do. Give yourself some positive affirmations and learn to enjoy life. It seems to me like you worry about your health and symptoms a lot. This will just make your tms symptoms worse, been there done that and still struggle with this at times. Set small goals each day and try to look at the positives in your life and making a gratitude list helps. Learning acceptance and let go of the fear is hard but can be done with time. Don't know if your a spiritual person, but asking help from god is something that has really helped me. For some people journaling doesnt work but you can find many other techniques that may work for you (affirmations, meditation, doing something you enjoy) It will get better with time and know that you do have the strength to overcome tms. Best of luck

Ryan

3. Abundance72

Thank you Ryan for your thoughts :)

4. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Seems to me like you could do with calming your nervous system down a bit and your mind. Meditation has been helping me do this. Lately and im trying to memorise the 12 daily reminders.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Abundance. it does sound like you need to calm down. Not easy, I know, but go a google search
    for Claire Weekes' videos and audios. Herbie has posted about them. They're great for relaxation.

Journaling worked great for me to heal back pain, but some people say it makes them uncomfortable
    or give them stress because they think about things in the past that gave them problems.
    But that's what helps many if not most people recover from TMS. Some others says just knowing
    that repressed emotions relieves their pain and they didn't spend time journaling or thinking about them.

I suggest you start the Structured Education Program. It's free in one of the forums.

And don't think your symptoms are structural. They're psychological. We've accepted that and healed.
    Read the success forum to see how that worked for many others.

You're going to be pain-free. Just tell yourself that over and over.

Relax and do deep breathing... in through the mouth, hold a few seconds, then out through your nose.
    It's very relaxing.

And laugh. Even if there is nothing to laugh about. It works to calm the mind and body.

6. Abundance72

Thank you Richsimm22 for your advice I will get to those 12 daily reminders!

Thank you Walt, I appreciate your advice. My body does get pretty wound up I'm not sure why it keeps happening. I do have the Claire weekes help for your nerves book and audio cd it's great I must admit. Funny enough I just remembered yesterday and pulled it out again. She has such a soothing and stern voice that helps all the time.

I will keep at it and keep believing that I will heal. I will get back to my meditation practice too. I do tend to forget to (deep) breathe at times which doesn't help I'm sure. I really do appreciate all the advice I receive here. Thank you all.:happy:

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Abundance72 I can't much say more than my friends have already said but since I have had some major issues with headaches I'm going to tell you what I did ok.
    Relax and meditate. You have a lot of pressure ( emotionally on you ). You have to stop thinking that all is going wrong. Believe, and relax. Breath and relax. Meditate and relax.
    Use the affirmations I'm calm, relaxed and patient. Be loving to yourself more than ever and don't feel guilty for taking a break from all the worry to heal. Yes Tms healing is real. You will heal, you just have to get a foothold on your healing.
    If your having headaches while trying to journal then just do meditations till the headaches let up and then journal. It's good to feel the emotions your feeling, this is how you know your beginning to hit at the Tms.
    Bless you

Abundance72 likes this.
  8. Abundance72

Thank you Herbie! Once again you hve the best advice! You're a legend and I appreciate your wise words.

9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Awww, thank you so much Abundance72. I like that, Legend. I'm a long way to get there but if I had a goal then hearing those words from you brought it to pass. :)
    We just need to hear a good style and some comfort sometimes. We all know, we all been there and some of us are there now -- holding on with belief and patience with work and perseverance. Practicing awareness of re-actions and mindfulness. It's about how to heal and healing is being in the now and soothing. Healing is laughing with happiness and joy. Healing is letting go.
    1) Being in the now and soothing is letting go of past hurts and future fears. Meditating with mindfulness meditation is good for soothing but so is exercise and just relaxing and taking a walk in the nature and enjoying the fresh scents of the trees.
    2) Laughing is a good movie away and happiness is a choice derived from gratitude, Joy is from happiness and laughing.
    3) Letting go is deciding you don't want to hurt no more for someone or something that doesn't hurt for you. Letting go is choosing to love yourself more than hurting yourself.

Bless you

Abundance72 likes this.