1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is excessive perspiration a TMS equivalent?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Lars, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Lars

Lars New Member

Hello everyone,

I wonder if excessive perspiration (hyperhidrosis) is a TMS equivalent? Are there people who recognize this as a TMS equivalent?
    When I was 12 yo I started to get sweaty hands, armpits and feet. I pretty much had wet hands all the time.
    It was very embarrassing to shake peoples hands. When I was 13 my pain journey started. Pretty much around this age I started to get heavy acne as well.
    At age 22 I decided to do a surgery to stop the excessive sweating in my hands and armpits. They burned a nerve which is responsible for the perspiration. This was not possible for the feet, so I still have sweaty feet until now.

Best Wishes,

2. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

Hi Lars. I would guess it will improve or go away as you heal. Our bodies are not separate parts stuck together. We cannot help but heal in general. I remember saying to someone with anxiety who probably had many TMS symptoms (before I knew about it), let's heal the anxiety, and then see what physical problems are left. Your sweating could very well improve. In the year before I found TMS information I started some natural treatments for rosacea (excessive reddening and heat in my face). I have since read that rosacea is definitely emotionally triggered. So, pleasantly, that seems to be improving, but I don't think of my TMS work as being for any of my symptoms in particular. I know that as I feel my feelings and get real and honest with myself (and others), my physical body won't need to flare up in all it's infinitely creative ways. I would say, just do the work.

Lars likes this.
  3. Spacenoid

Spacenoid Newcomer

Yes I believe it is possible as excessive sweating can result from conditions like anxiety. Your problem reminds me of this segment about a physician who had problems with excessive perspiration in Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, .

Lars likes this.
  4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Sweating is mediated by the sympathetic nervous system; excessive sweating is very frequently a sign that the sympathetic nervous system is in overdrive from stress and powerful emotions. In fact, excessive sweating is one of the ways my neurologists were able to differentiate my so-called "neuropathy" symptoms from true nerve damage (which I do not have). My socks were completely soaked soon after putting my shoes on, holding my cell phone for a even few minutes would prompt my hands to sweat like crazy, etc. It was horrible and I even booked an appointment at a Walgreens clinic to ask a medical professional about what was going on (before I saw the neurologists) - she boldly stated that nothing was wrong with me and she refused to bill my insurance or me for the appointment (a truly great lady).

So the answer is yes! ;)

And in case anyone is reading this and feels unnerved because they experience reduced sweating, that can sometimes be a sign of TMS, too - I believe Steve Ozanich experienced this particular symptom and I've read it about it elsewhere as well. It's definitely not always nerve damage, so don't panic! A good doctor can help you differentiate between nerve symptoms caused by the mind-body connection and true nerve damage.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Aimee88 and Lars like this.
  5. potato

potato New Member

Hi Aimee, how are you doing?

I’m quite new to this TMS stuff, so I’m wondering, when you say “do the work”, what exactly are you referring to?

All of this seems quite logical, but I don’t really know where to begin... there’s just so many of these “programs” and many of them teach different things, so I’m not sure what to do exactly!

I know that I’ve been suppressing my emotions for over 10 years and I forgot how to feel them properly.

I’d really appreciate to hear what you think, thank you!

Aimee88 likes this.
  6. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

Hi Potato. Welcome. For me, doing the work is feeling my feelings, sitting with myself and being as honest as possible about what I'm feeling about things in my life now and in the past. Some books and the structured program here can lead you through by making lists and helping you look at different areas of your life and your beliefs and feelings. I did those. Now I just take what comes up. Often times a current event helps me see into something in the past, or lets emotions from the past surface to be felt. Doing the work also means reminding myself that my body is ok and I am safe and then getting on with physical activity. And it means re-reading the books (there are many, in different styles, but all the same knowledge) and reminding myself, as this comes from patterns and personality, so it's not a one-pill-and-done system.

How am I doing? Pretty well. I had a long spell of feeling really good. And recently I've had pretty strong flares of pain. I came back here, I got back into the books, and I have set some physical goals for myself. Yesterday I walked 3.5 miles in a beautiful place and enjoyed it. I've had to remind myself that there is nothing to fear in the pain itself, and I'm watching more of Dan Buglio's Pain Free You videos (YouTube) and have been reminded that laughter is really good. I do tend to get a bit serious about it all, so sometimes my conscious decision to help my healing is watching something funny that really makes me laugh out loud. I also do conscious breathing exercises and yin yoga for that soothing of the nervous system, and because they both feel really good to me.

Aimee