1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (NY) Standard time. It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with MatthewNJ as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is Carpal Tunnel Always a Result of TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Riffdex, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Riffdex

Riffdex New Member

I understand that this is all debate able, but I am trying to interpret Sarno's theories appropriately. I haven't been able to figure out if CTS is (in Sarno's mind) solely a manifestation of mind body disorder, or a physiologically based disorder that can be imitated by TMS. I believe the analysis that CTS and other disorders are considered hereditary may be more a result of accessibility to the brain. People who had parents with CTS have been more exposed to the concept of the disease and even more "conditioned" to expect it to occur to them down the line. As internal stresses build, the uncobscious chooses a manifestation that makes sense to the conscious mind. Whether creating symptoms that coincide with an individual's keyboard/mouse usage, creating a back pain when the individual is performing barbell squats, or creating a pain based off of the knowledge base of that individual, the process is all the same.

I am also wondering if all Repetitive Strain Injury is truly mindbody based. As Sarno said, "we are not made of paper maiche (sp?)". Conventional medicine cannot explain why RSI is more common in the US than is less developed countries where individuals are more active and proper nutrition is less accessible.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh goodness, yes indeed. I have no doubt now (although it took me more than 60 years to recognize it) that I "inherited" my anxiety, and therefore my TMS, from my mother.

It really took "doing the work" to discover this, however - and by that, I mean doing the SEP, learning to journal, and forcing myself to be honest (ignoring the fears of my primitive brain) when I was journaling. What I thought I consciously remembered about my mother was that she was a rock, absolutely unflappable. What I found out by opening up to my emotions as much younger child, is that she was actually very anxious in her early days of motherhood (and I was the first of four) - and that anxiety was translated directly to me, lasting for more than 60 years. I also figured out that she maintained control over four children by clamping down on her own anxiety, and by not allowing us to express our emotions. Was this an abusive or traumatic childhood? Not at all. Nope - I'm one of those people who initially didn't understand how I could possibly have deeply-repressed rage. But there it was - the common process of keeping the child under control, not offering comfort or allowing for the free expression of all of the pain and loneliness and frustrations of childhood. It's a breeding ground for TMS.

3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Jan says it well once again,

Riff are you a guitar player? Be careful that you aren't unconsciously trying to find a way out of healing, in what I call "the exceptional ruler." It's a common defense mechanism people use to delay healing. Anyone can over use a body part and it will hurt and get sore, but it will heal quickly within days. If it lingers then it's Phase 2 TMS and your brain has taken advantage of the opportunity. The TMS picture is much broader and clearer.

TMS is not genetic, it's like you said here an observed trait. All that we see is contained within the unconscious and ready to use when we need it. And any time a forma "system" is set up to accommodate suffering the suffering increases because people are on the constant lookout for anything to pile up their woes.

Don't fall into the exception rule, you can hurt a hand or wrist but once you add that word "syndrome" to it, then it's TMS, totally mindbody stuff.

SO

4. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.
    Thich Nhat Hanh

We humans have lost the wisdom of genuinely resting and relaxing. We worry too much. We don't allow our bodies to heal, and we don't allow our minds and hearts to heal.
    Thich Nhat Hanh