1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Introduction, low back - Need help with a plan

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by trip0d, May 24, 2016.

1. trip0d

trip0d New Member

Hello all,

My name is Corey. I have been dealing with low back pain/discomfort for some 5-6 years now. I was heavily into lifting weights and had hopes of competing in bodybuilding competitions. I initially injured my back squatting. It was on and off, at first, and has become more consistent in recent times. If I can be thankful for something, it has never been particularly debilitating (except mentally) - it basically feels like a snug belt is wrapped around me (tightness/pressure) almost constantly. This has caused perpetual worry of making things worse so I have largely laid off of lifting heavy weights. I opened the can of worms that is an MRI and have the typical herniated lumbar disc situation that many people do. No sciatica for the most part, although 2-3 days ago I started having a deep pain under my right glute/hamstring region. Great.

For the last 2 years I have been working hard on prerequisites in hopes of getting into Physical Therapy school (ironically). I am now finished with those and the opportunity has presented itself for me to get into a great (very competitive) school that is partnered with the Army. You can imagine why I am now even MORE worried about getting to the bottom of this issue. It is devastating to think that this could stand in the way of taking advantage of this opportunity. Most people would never imagine that I am going through this because I still have managed to stay in decent shape. Hence I think it's difficult for most people to understand my worry and frustration. Anyway, I don't really run and am going to need to start engaging in the type of conditioning conducive to military life. I am just so stuck on my problem being structural in nature that I am afraid.

Why I think TMS could be the reason? I have read that the typical person afflicted with TMS is a perfectionist, goodist, and someone that worries about things constantly. I am naturally a very skeptical person but this really stood out to me because these attributes fit me perfectly. I am constantly trying to be 10 steps ahead of everything, constantly trying to please people and watch what I say as not to be offensive, and always worry about "what-ifs". I WORRY ABOUT EVERYTHING! Another thing to note is that I constantly catch myself breathing shallowly. It is as if I have forgotten to breath and subsequently take a deep breath. A form of anxiety?

HELP How should I go about this in a concise plan? I am most of the way through "Healing Back Pain" which took me MONTHS to read due to skepticism. I also have another book called "Back Sense" by Ronald Siegel that I plan to read. Where should I start after I complete these books? I saw the SEP and Alan Gordon's recovery program. I just do not want to spin my wheels and get lost in the wealth of info out there.

Sorry this is so long but I greatly appreciate any and all advice. The success stories are really encouraging as it seems people in worse off situations than mine are making complete turn-arounds!

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

I would give Steven Ozanich's Book "the great pain deception' he lays out what he did. I would definitely say you have TMS. If Steve can come back from this horrible, excruciating way of life than I believe with the right amount of persistence and work then anyone can. This book was vital in my recovery. As I am still in the process since I was basically completely disabled I know I have TMS and have come a long way from being able to do NOTHING . I am 21 years old and there is no way my whole body is shutting down due to some "structural" problems. Give it a try bud.

3. trip0d

trip0d New Member

Awesome, thanks Brendan. I have seen that book mentioned - perhaps it was even by you in a different post. I will check it out. I am 29 and feel the same way. Best wishes in your recovery

brendan537 likes this.
  4. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

I would say in addition to reading books check out some videos. For me watching recovery stories was crucial to learning about TMS. I also recommend starting a daily journaling practice. Even just free form journaling can be helpful to uncover any stressors and feelings you may not be aware of. Research shows that feelings written on paper can create a separation and understanding which can calm down the brain. I find more and more that as I write I can see that my perfectionism is unnecessary. The SEP is a great tool if you feel you want more of a daily structure.

It sounds like you have a bright future ahead of you and a ton of discipline and insight. You are doing a great job just by reaching out for help. Stay connected to the forum and keep us posted.

LexyLucy

5. trip0d

trip0d New Member

Thanks so much. I may need to break down and give the journaling a try. I am still very much in the "acceptance of TMS" stage. But this seems to be key for many people. I could rattle off many things that generally stress me out but maybe there's deeper stressors that are more difficult to uncover/realize.

lexylucy likes this.