1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Introduction, let's do this!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Bchicken, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Bchicken

Bchicken Newcomer

Hi all! I have been looking at this forum for a while, and I thought I would finally make a commitment and join the site! I posted this same thing in the support subforum, but now realize it would be more appropriate here.

These past few years have been very tough for me. I was a classical pianist for many years in my undergraduate studies when it all began. I developed many injuries in my wrists and elbows, injuries that no matter how many NSAIDs or rest I took never really went away. I tried getting my mind off things and took dance classes, and developed what felt like Tendonitis in my knees. I managed to hurt my Shoulder that same year at the gym, another injury that never went away. I tried resting, but unfortunately I knew my dreams of being a professional pianist were not a possibility because of the pain. Instead I focused on academics, and I am now in medical school.

In the 6 months before starting medical school however, my life took a turn for the worse. I was reading a lot, and developed pain in my pelvis from sitting. I tried doing light exercises and developed Hip tendonitis in both hips. I hurt my Knee and couldn't walk for weeks. I then developed Plantar Fasciitis in both of my feet. Finally, over the past 6 months I have felt Back Pain with tingling in my feet and upper legs. None of these have gotten much better. I am 24 years old, this doesn't make sense. I'm too young for this!

I saw 2 rheumatologists, 2 orthopedists, a neurologist, a neurosurgeon, and nothing came back of significant meaning. They all said it must be a coincidence, all my tests are negative. I tried everything, and as a medical student, also did research on my own and could not find anything to explain it. Until I came across this forum...

I tried the TMS theory a few times, but within a week or two I gave up and was too scared to continue doing any activity. I fit the personality description of a TMS sufferer perfectly. I am a perfectionist, overacheiver, always trying to please others. I easily get fixated on things and obsessed, and my pain was no exception to this.

I know this was a long introduction! But I want to change my life for the better. I want to get over this pain and have control in my life again. If anyone has had similar experiences or words of advice I would appreciate it immensely! I failed to stick to this program a few times, so encouragement would definitely help. This will be my third time trying it. Has anyone had similar experiences? I'm starting the structured program today, I will definitely post updates as I go!

2. Jaykay

Jaykay Newcomer

Bchicken, I also start today. Lets see how it goes. I'm just gonna make my post,
    jk