1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction and thanks

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Bonnard, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Hi all,

I finally joined the forum. Thanks to those willing to share your struggles & successes.

I was introduced to TMS & the wonderful work of Dr. Sarno in 2010 after a bout of severe back pain. My life was centered around the back pain and I was in bad shape.
    A kind and Sarno-aware physical therapist pulled me aside one day and suggested there was another way/another theory on how to deal with back pain.

Through the books and some journaling, I embraced Dr. Sarno's methods and was mostly pain-free for several years. I jumped back into physical activity and even took up backpacking.

I've had occasional recurring pain over the years and had the symptoms dance around my body (back pain> foot pain>skin problems >joint pain>headaches>upper GI, etc. etc.). It's crazy! The doctors have cleared my multiple times when I thought I really had something.

My current slump: I caught a stomach virus in November and haven't been right since. The virus was just upper GI issues for a couple days. BUT, I had fatigue and exhaustion for a long while after that. The local urgent care facility suggested rest.
    The family doctor did a whole battery of tests, and told me I am in excellent health, there's nothing wrong with me, and that others my age would want the test results that I have. I mentioned TMS to him, but he seemed suspicious of it and didn't want to continue on that topic.
    After the dr. cleared me, different symptoms jumped around my body, and the latest that I can't shake is upper GI issues. I tried to apply TMS symptoms, and the upper GI stuff went away to be briefly replaced by back pain.

I haven't been diligent about journaling. And, I get frustrated and down on myself (it's embarrassing to me) that I know the solution but can't shake the symptoms. And, I feel alone as everyone close to me wants to focus on the physical. Nobody understands/supports the TMS solution.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Bonnard,

I am glad you joined the Forum and introduced yourself. I highly recommend doing the TMS Recovery Program, which is free at the Wiki.

Here at the Forum we understand and support that your symptoms are likely to be TMS equivalents. Especially since you were cleared by your doctor.

It sounds like you have Inner Critic activity about your (lack of?) progress. It is helpful, perhaps to see this activity for what it is, and fold this understanding into your TMS inquiry. If you're hard on yourself ---versus just seeing the situation for what it is: not making much progress, then this is a good example of how your personality contributes to inner tension. If you can gently see this inner activity, and inquire into what your Inner Child may feel about these attacks, this may help you understand the inner dynamics which are the real cause of symptoms.

In truth, you may now have to do some more consistent work in order to undo the current TMS stuff, unlike in the past. So be it! :)

Part of your skills and consistency may be to simply acknowledge the symptoms as TMS, and not fight them so much. So what that you can't "fix" it right now? Allow yourself to relax around what is happening...

Good Luck!
    Andy B

AC45 likes this.
  3. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Hi Andy, I read your post last week and it was really helpful--thanks! Shining a light on my criticism of my own 'lack of progress' is refreshing. I've actually made huge progress as I was mostly pain free for years--I've just had some setbacks recently.

And, it's super clear to me now that I have to do consistent work to get out of my current situation.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Bonnard,
    I am so glad that what I said resonated with you.
    Andy B