1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Intro

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ella17, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Ella17

Ella17 New Member

Hi, just a short intro. I fall slap bang into the profile of those with chronic pain and TMS. I have been working with the concepts for about a year with good results with Curable app, but feel like I am backsliding. I've suffered from musculoskeletal pain for about 30 years (I'm 50). Several years ago my symptoms including IBS became so severe I had to give up working. A few years ago I was diagnosed with Elhers Danlos Syndrome, so although I think the severity and recurrences are probably TMS, there's always a thought in the back of my mind it's because of EDS.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ella 17, and Welcome!

I have a friend who has was finally diagnosed with Elhers Danlos Syndrome, after decades of pain. He has told me that he feels "at least half" of his pain is TMS. He is able to track his emotional conditions, stress, pressure he puts on himself, and correlate this with symptom increase. He has become less afraid of the pain with this knowledge, which is key. He has become less emotionally reactive to symptoms.

I'm giving you his story as an example, but I think you're finding your own way to use TMS work to your best benefit. Obviously in this picture is the fear of pain and the long experience of pain. In this regard, I suggest you also look at Alan Gordon's program listed at the top of the page --in addition to the SEP.

Good luck in your work!

Andy

3. Ella17

Ella17 New Member

Thanks Andy for your reply. It's good to know that someone else with EDS is getting good results. I have been worried that not believing that my pain is 100% TMS might cause a conflict. With EDS it's very easy to strain something so it can be difficult to differentiate. One thing I do know is that I definitely fear the fear of doing something that might cause pain and anticipate and worry an activity might cause pain. So I'm hoping that further delving into my anxiety/thoughts will give me relief.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ella,

One of the resources which folks often find helpful is Claire Weekes work. There is some information at the Wiki, and I think there are audio books available. Helps with working with anxiety...

Andy