1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting observation.. From extremely painful moment to Painfree moment

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by IndiMarshall, Aug 15, 2015.

1. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

I observed that when I have severe back pain I take a shower at night and my mind and boy become so relaxed there will be no pain.
    This happened at least 4 times in last one month and then I can sit for any long time that night.
    Isnt this a good sign of TMS ?
    During the morning I can hardly sit for 10 mins.

My pain returns again once I wake up.

I think I have to relax my mind through mindfulness and living in present moment.

Forest likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Some of the most amazing TMS transformations that I have seen have come through mindfulness and living in the present. An important part of this is recognizing that things are the way that they are in the present and accepting that. Things will get better eventually, but for right now, worrying about them won't make them any better. Suffering = pain + resistance.

Grateful17 and IrishSceptic like this.
  3. IndiMarshall

Thanks Forest. Isnt that a great TMS observation. No pain when I am relaxed after a shower but why isnt it lasting long ?
    Pain is back in the morning.

I have to accept I am not doing mindfulness nor living in present.

Some users havent done this yet they recovered.

4. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Shinzen young introduced this idea to me and its incredibly powerful. Body scan meditations when done properly are fantastic
    Suffering = pain + resistance.

Forest and IndiMarshall like this.
  5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

During the daytime, we have the ability to consciously intercept thoughts and felt sensation by using various techniques. However, when one goes to sleep, the conscious may be in a state of rest but the unconscious is still frantically processing thoughts and triggering the pain cycle.

The key is not only to practice mindfulness meditation, but to live in the now, cultivate happiness and be greatful for all blessings large or small.

Realise every emotion you have, has an impact on your mental and physiological state. Transforming your belief cycle plays a huge role in recovery

IndiMarshall, Grateful17 and Forest like this.
  6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I would expect that part of it is that after a little while you stop living in the present and your tension level rises. Therefore the pain returns.

However, I'd caution you against trying to explore and predict everything. The mindbody is incredibly complex, with a great deal happening underneath the surface that we can't fully understand. We can read to learn more, of course, but what I've noticed is that some people on the forum obsess and worry while others don't. Personally, I think that calming the worry is the first step to healing.

On a cheerier note, in her beach story this morning @alicemae1 may have shared a second example of how, when you become fully engaged in the present, your worries can disappear:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/victim-or-victory-hopefully-the-latter.9405/#post-50071

IndiMarshall and mike2014 like this.
  7. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. I know at the beginning of my recovery, moments like these were very important and motivating. These are exactly the kinds of experiences you should put on your evidence sheet. And they will grow and expand. The first big step is making that realization that it is possible. The pain can just disappear in surprising and unexpected ways. Think about that. Hang onto that. Don't try to over analyze why it happened after you took a hot shower or figure out the specific reasons and expect it every time you take a hot shower. Just let it sink in that it is possible. Develop your belief and trust that the pain can go away, and it does go away. You are on the right track. Soon you will have longer periods that are pain free or the pain could disappear altogether. It is important not to monitor and and think about whether the pain is there or not. But feel encouraged, it is possible and this is a really excellent sign that it is TMS.

Forest and IndiMarshall like this.
  8. kchung

kchung New Member

can someone tell me what "mindfulness and living in the moment" means? Is it a specific technique?

9. IndiMarshall

Thanks All ,

Anne I got a chance to read your story and found many similarities to myself like back pain , ruptured disc, back surgery.
    I have messaged you , please get back to me. Since I have lot of similarities to your case I think its worth to follow your recovery.

10. IndiMarshall

Look at related videos for Micheal Brown