1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Immobility part of the same syndrome?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Ana321, May 13, 2015.

1. Ana321

Ana321 Peer Supporter

Hey guys,

The struggle continues, one step forward and two steps back. I'm actually dealing with pain throughout the night now which hasn't happened in such a long time. The pattern of pain continues to move around from the front of the right hip, groin area, to the side, the back, then my entire right leg starts to buckle etc, its just unrelenting but i'm determined to hang in there, after 10 years i finally know what is going on.

My question relates to mobility. I'm in a significant amount of pain pretty much constantly, although a couple of weeks ago i had a bit of an epiphany where i had a really good catch up with an old friend and the next day my pain was completely gone, the following week i was feeling great and then the stress of a temporary full time role working for a law firm, university finals and just general un-satisfaction with the situation in my life led to a recurrence of pain and now i'm in a pretty bad state again. Back to the issue of mobility, i'm noticing a decreased amount of mobility in my right hip and this is terrifying me, the reason is that the same thing happened to my left hip years ago (when i had no idea about TMS or what was going on) and eventually i ended up with a complete stiff hip that baffled the entire medical community, it led to a total hip replacement at 21. the decrease in mobility in my right hip now is just scaring me so much, i'm trying to not get carried away with fear based thoughts but is it possible for TMS to cause real stiffness and/or immobility? I sometimes wonder if maybe i would have regained function with my left hip had i discovered TMS before surgery but the stiffness was severe, maybe it was too late.

Is a decrease in motion part of the same syndrome? It's also scaring me because i feel like i need to sort myself out ASAP in order to not end up with a complete stiff hip on the right side as well and eventually a hip replacement.. i'm in a pretty distressed state at the moment, any advice or support would be so much appreciated.. just need to hear it will all be ok. Also, i should mention that i don't even have any structural problems with the right hip, that has even been ruled out, the doctors have actually ruled out any reason for me to be in any pain, i even had PRP injections into the joint so i KNOW the hip is ok but i'm still scared..

Ana.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ana.
    I'm sorry you are in pain but from your report it doesn't seem to be a structural problem but TMS.
    You have been under a lot of emotional stress but feel much better when things are going more smoothly for you.
    Fear of hurting yourself definitely causes pain. You need to reprogram your mind not to worry about doing anything
    to hurt your hip or any other part of your body.

Turn your mind away from fear and structural worries and focus on TMS being the cause of your pain.
    If you have not done the Structured Educational Program, I urge you to do it, free in that subforum of this web site

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ana,

I'm glad you wrote in for some support.

Muscle tightness is associated with TMS. Also I know someone with very stiff hips, and she walks this way, she thinks, to avoid pain. She is not even sure why she walks this way. So that tells me that there might be some unconscious avoidence of pain for you too. I just want to help you see that your tightness is TMS related. Hang in there. You are seeing results and this often means things move around or worsen in order to scare you.

It is reasonable to be fearful, based on your past experience. But now you know about TMS, and are seeing results. Try to keep reminding yourself that this is TMS. And you don't need to pressure yourself to "sort this out." Your simple repetition, growing understanding, and other rather simple TMS practices is what is needed. Read some success stories, lots of them!! Gently or loudly tell your mind body to "knock it off!" Allow yourself to get angry if you need to.

Sending my support,

Andy B.

Lizzy and Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ana. I like Andy's suggestions. TMS healing can be slow, until you convince yourself the pain is psychological and not structural.
    Then the healing really begins.

5. Ana321

Ana321 Peer Supporter

Thanks guys, really do appreciate the words of support. I think it might be a good sign that I'm getting weird pains in my wrist and foot as well and throughout the night all of a sudden it's become pretty unrelenting.

I'm going to keep doing the work and I've also started Dr Scubuner's program in Unlearn Your Pain which I hope will also help..

Ana

Lizzy likes this.